Changing brass, keeping load?

arrow

It has taken some time playing with the 105 vld hunting bergers for my .243 win. I am shooting 40.5 H4350 .090" off lands with federal 210m primer. I am using winchester brass just because thats what I felt like paying for at the time. I have now relised the importance of high quality brass. So once this win brass gets worn out I will be going with lapua. My question is, other than safety concerns (starting lower because possible thicker case walls) should this load still work out the best for me? Or am I going to have to play with the seating depth and powder charge again to get to where I want it? I'm sure every case is different, but in yalls experience changing brass type did you have to retest loads and find a different load worked better? Also, did they impact differently and different velocity? Thanks for all the help.

Winchester brass is great brass, once you cull the few that have factory flaws. My rule is never ever change anything once you find a repeatable quality load unless you want to go back to the starting point.

I went through this dilemma about 6-7 years ago when I had a proven load in my 30.06. I found some Lapua brass on sale and bought it. Guess what? I never was able to reproduce my original load I developed with the Winchester brass.

I'm with Derek, Wichester brass is pretty good. I neck size and have reloaded my Winchester brass over a dozen times. And you are quite right, changing brass means you should work the load up again.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts