Keeping brass shiny

Rilow

How do you guys keep your reloads nice n shiny? Brass looks nice n shiny after tumbling but then after while they get a dull finish. I use rcbs case lube,do I need to clean the lube off after sizing? Didn't know if that maybe causes them to dull. Curious to what others do.

Yes clean the lube off after sizing. I have two batches of Lyman treated corn cob tumble media. One is for just cleaning the cases of any dirt etc. before sizing them. I lube and size then I use another batch of the Lyman treated corn cob media with 2 or 3 table spoons of New Finish car polish that you can get at Wal-Mart etc. Turn on the tumbler with the media in it then add the polish will mix it well and keep from clumping. Depending on how tarnished the cases were I usually run them about 3 or 4 hours and they come out looking like new. I do need to check each flash hole as I clean each primer pocket for a piece of media stuck in it. You can use a big heavy paper clip with a leg bent out or some other tool to poke the media out.

If you add in lizard walnut media which is super fine, the tumbler or vibrator will have really nice media fluid flow plus the fine media seems to help keep flash holes cleaner. The fine walnut has much more surface area so the cases will clean up faster too. Plus dirt cheap at pet store.

I do like the answer shoot them before they get tarnished again though!

I run stainless for an hour prior to annealing, resizing, trimming, mandrel sizing and then I run in walnut media with a small amount of Nufinish and mineral spirits. Turns out beautiful and lasts, then I do final chamfer and debur. Pretty don't make it shoot better but I still like the shine.

I like Blue Metal's metal polish cream. You can get it at car parts stores. A little dab will do and they are mirror bright with almost no effort. I chuck the brass in a drill and put a dab of polish on a rag. Not sure how long they stay bright but its years.

I remove primers, then tumble (ground walnut from petland, with a bit of Nu Finish. Then lube and resize. The about 8 minutes in an ultrasonic cleaner with hot water, drop of Dawn and tsp Lem)shine. clean, shiney and and purty!

The correct way to case prep.

1. Lube the cases. I like spray lube in a plastic dish.

2. resize and decap.

3. I use a wet steel rod "Thumblers Tumbler" dish soap good quantity, tea spoon of dish washer lemon shine, and fill with water above the cases. run for about 3 hours. This makes all the cases lube and oil free.

4. Dump, rinse, and drain many times till clean water pours out. Then add
Nu Finish Car Automotive Polish. only one tea spoon per half load. Tumble for about an hour. This coats the cases with an air proof coating that keeps the brass cases shiny and new looking for years.

5. I sun dry on a towel or use a food dehumidifier in the winter

I've tried many processes from simply tumbling in corn cob media with a bit of metal polish to using an ultrasonic cleaner followed by dry tumbling. All worked OK but took a lot of time. At one time I even used my old Lyman case spinner in a drill and polished the brass with Brasso. Yes, these did shine like a diamond but was labor-intensive. My latest "adventure in case cleaning" is using a Frankfort Arsenal wet number. Following their directions as well as using the recommended amount of their tumbler solution. the cases did come out looking pretty good but I noticed water sports. My last attempt added a final rinse of the cases and media with DI water. Voila, the cases looked great after coming out of the dehydrator. I have let them sit on the bench for a week to see what would happen. Not much change from the original luster. I get the DI water at a local discount food mart and keep it exclusively for this process.

Cordless drill and wax B345040C-103A-4840-A885-7C797137F70E.jpeg54381E8B-5B89-49B0-BFBF-2FA09AC548EE.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.