Changing powder & keeping bullet seating depth

carpetman2

My question is, if I have my seating depth dialed in using 30 cal. Berger 210's and I change the brand of powder, should I expect that the seating depth would be the same and that I would just need to find the best node for the new powder? Just dinking around this winter trying out H1000 in place of RL22 in my 300 wm.

I have done it with good results more than once. If nothing else it would be a good starting point. Once you find the best powder charge you could always tweak seating depth to see if there is an improvement.

There won't be any improvement in moving seating from where you've found as optimum, regardless of other load changes.

However, if you are using a compressed load (in which bottom of bullet compresses the powder column), it will push the bullet back up slightly, destroying your OAL.

I have played around with this quite a lot and have found that generally the optimum seating depth does not change with powder changes. I agree with the previous comment that compressed loads with a low neck tension will allow the bullet to creep forward. This may not be noticeable while reloading. It could occur over time or upon recoil with the cartridges in your magazine.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.