Bullet seating depth

TAWS

I am dealing with a 280 A.C. Imp and would someone, and I hate to sound ignorant, but what is the Wheeler method of checking bullet depth? I think it has to do with the hard jam, and go deeper from there. Please can someone expound on this.

It is pretty involved you have to disassemble the bolt and a couple of other things, me I like the split case method or slight neck tension method, and I always check one against they other with excellent results.

Dean

I am dealing with a 280 A.C. Imp and would someone, and I hate to sound ignorant, but what is the Wheeler method of checking bullet depth? I think it has to do with the hard jam, and go deeper from there. Please can someone expound on this.

If you can mount a scope you can strip a bolt, its simple.
You need the to take out the firing pin assembly, small punch to take out plunger pin and spring just make sure and put your finger over the end of the bolt so it doesn't fly across the room.
After you do it a couple times you'll see its pretty simple. If you have a new rifle built the bolt already has to be stripped to headspace so that is the best time to do it just have the smith leave it stripped when its sent or you pick it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.