SIMPLE record keeping for load development

When I went to boot camp we had these note books. They were green and like 6x5 inches. We called them green monsters. I have one on my reloading bench where I write info down. I still have mine from Recruit Training and every once in a while I read the notes I made myself. It's usually pretty amusing.

It depends how detailed you want to get. For me, I am sort of anal , and keep a record of almost every detail, even from cartridge to cartridge. Then I will keep a written summary of case prep, seating, etc So I can go back and retrace if needed.

I find that using a computer spreadsheet (such as Excel) is real good. I keep a workbook within the file for each batch. I then have a summary sheet that is simply a row showing only the critical data (bullet, case, charge, primer, velocity) , etc , so I can easily trace what powder I've used, what bullet, what primer, etc

I know thats more than most people do but it helps a great deal since I reload only in small batches and not too often.

Just an iPhone. I use the notepad feature, make notes for each rifle. Take pictures of targets, loading manuals etc. and put them in a folder for each rifle. Works well for the "clerically disabled" like me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.