Change in weatherby brass

Dmagna

Just got a new batch of 257 weatherby brass, I am shocked by the difference in weight. I am retiring my old 50 pieces for a new 50. I was hoping to be able to make the transition pretty easy instead of a new full work up. But that isn't the case. My old lot is 30 grains heavier than the new brass. I was very surprised at the difference, that could be why my rifle was using loads 4-5 grains below Berger data and exceeding their speeds with the 133.

What headstamp? I bought Weatherby headstamp 270 Bee brass by the hundred, was offered another hundred with Norma headstamp and these are all made by Norma, BUT, the brass was different weight, but capacity had not changed a lot. About a tenth CC different. Sectioned them and the Weatherby headstamp was heavier in the walls of the case.

Cheers.

What headstamp? I bought Weatherby headstamp 270 Bee brass by the hundred, was offered another hundred with Norma headstamp and these are all made by Norma, BUT, the brass was different weight, but capacity had not changed a lot. About a tenth CC different. Sectioned them and the Weatherby headstamp was heavier in the walls of the case.

Cheers.
They are both weatherby headstamp. First time I have seen that much of a weight, difference. I havnt had a chance to shoot them yet, I hope the have the same capacity, I dont have the gauges for the water. I'll shoot a lower charge and see how the speeds lineup.

It appears Norma is thinning a lot of their case designs down, my 25-06 and 22-250 brass has all been lighter, nothing to compare my 300WM brass to, as all 500 are the same batch, but it is light in comparison to all other brands I have.
To get a capacity difference, use 10% isopropyl alcohol to water mix, weigh an empty case with spent primer in, then fill with water mix and weigh again, use both weights of case, the difference in water weight is your capacity difference. CC's are more precise because it's not weighing/measuring the case, just the liquid. For this, I use 50/50 water/isopropyl mix, because the meniscus is almost negated. Have used kerosene, but it's density is less than water.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Just got a new batch of 257 weatherby brass, I am shocked by the difference in weight. I am retiring my old 50 pieces for a new 50. I was hoping to be able to make the transition pretty easy instead of a new full work up. But that isn't the case. My old lot is 30 grains heavier than the new brass. I was very surprised at the difference, that could be why my rifle was using loads 4-5 grains below Berger data and exceeding their speeds with the 133.
How many firings have you gotten from your old brass?

One of the changes with the potential of less material and obviously less weight is from a different alloy. Brass alloys have not stood still during all the history of manufacturing for cartridge cases.

It might be worth a call or an email to either/both Norma and/or Weatherby to ask about the weight difference. I know most of us will be interested to hear your results from any conversation with these manufacturers. Yes, I know Weatherby doesn't make any brass.

:)

I had the same issue about 3 years ago. Bought 50 virgin brass and 40 loaded, both Weatherby ammo and brass. The head stamps said the same thing, but the font was a little different. Same exact charge, one firing on each, the loaded ammo brass gave me around 200 fps less than the virgin brass. Glad I started with the virgin brass with my load development instead of the loaded. 100% would have blown something up.

apparently peterson now makes their brass
maybe you got some NOS of the norma stuff? i could not believe you got some peterson with that issue.

so apparently weatherby has 3 suppliers of their brass, via the ron spomer interview with adam weatherby 30:50
so who knows but i would say its just the variance from one supplier to another.

The head stamps said the same thing, but the font was a little different.
That's how I separate my Weatherby brass anyway.
If you look closely there are a few different variations over time.
I have found that if you stick with the same headstamp and font, you're good.