Change in Powder Lot

7MMMagnum

I worked up load for a 6.5 Creedmoor using the OCW method and a chronograph. 39.5 grains of H4350, Hornady brass, Fed 210 primers and 140 grain ELDM bullets was the sweet spot charge on the OCW test and chronograph was 2710 fps. Ran out of that 1 lb can of H4350 and opened a new can, different lot number. Loaded same recipe and speeds dropped down to low 2500 fps. Anyone have this much variation lot to lot in Hogdon powder. Been loading for over 40 yrs and never seen that much variation personally. Would like to hear of other!

Ouch. That's a big difference. But the first batch seems hot. I use 143 at 42.2 and achieve 2725 to 2750 depending on which of the three creedmoor I shoot it out of.

The last year I accumulated sever pounds of h4350 and made my own keg from a big cheeseball container. Painted it black. Mixed all the singles in. Pealed the label from a can and basically made my own 6 lb keg. Hopefully that keeps me consistent for the next 2 years.

Most people are ending up 41.5 to 43 grain on the 140 to 143 size bullets for what it's worth.....

Thanks for the info. When I was doing my testing I started seeing ejector marks at 40 grains of H4350. Wish I could find 6 lbs, sounds like a good idea to mix. Just never dreamed I would see that much difference. Do you think powder storage practices would make such a difference?

I was wondering if your barrel broke in suddenly. But ejector marks at 40 seems weird. Just from all the research and friends shooting h4350 with even heavier boolits. If your powder is away from UV rays and sealed it should be good for a long time.

I was wondering if your barrel broke in suddenly. But ejector marks at 40 seems weird. Just from all the research and friends shooting h4350 with even heavier boolits. If your powder is away from UV rays and sealed it should be good for a long time.
I just read some test reports from an independent firm that tests lot to lot consistency of Hodgdon powder. I gather it is military sponsored. They tested H4831 in both a 25-06 and 300 WM with 6 different lot numbers. Published numbers ended up with 111 fps extreme difference. Well go figure. Hodgdon's claim of lot to lot consistently may not be all what they claim. Authors of the study recommended starting from scratch when changing lot numbers due to safety concerns. 40 yrs of loading using Hodgdon powder and I have never experienced the extreme difference in lot numbers. Now I can say I have. Witness 200 fps between lots. Looks like I got a hot lot! It is gone now!

Well that's the first for me hearing of it. But I'm paranoid anyway. I always get several lbs and preferably 8 lbs. I know they vary but that's just "extreme"

I think you'll be happy and closer to reality with the new one. R26, r16 6.5 staball, are good options to try has well. Earlier in the year when I was hot after powder.....powder valley had the 6.5 staball frequently and more affordable.

Well that's the first for me hearing of it. But I'm paranoid anyway. I always get several lbs and preferably 8 lbs. I know they vary but that's just "extreme"

I think you'll be happy and closer to reality with the new one. R26, r16 6.5 staball, are good options to try has well. Earlier in the year when I was hot after powder.....powder valley had the 6.5 staball frequently and more affordable.
Kind of baffled by the number's also, I went to the Hodgdon website and looked up load data for the 6.5 creedmoor, h4350, 140 gr bullet. Their published min is 36 and max 40. Is their paranoia that dictates their data, or is the rest of the world loading hot.

Ejector swipes @40gn, that is odd, 40gn is usually when 6.5CM starts to come to life?! Custom barrel? What other components?
Stock Christiansen Arms Mesa 22" barrel. I was getting 2710 fps with 39.5 gr of the h4350 and 140 gr ELDM. Sounds odd doesn't it. Hornady load data has 41.5 gr of H4350 as max and 2700 fps. With this new lot of powder, I see the Hornady data being more realistic. With the old "hot lot", I see Hodgdon's data of 40 gr max more realistic. I never knew lot to lot was so inconsistent. No wonder the reloading manuals are all over the place.

I don't know anything about the alleged H4831 "testing" report, but I've been using H4831 since 1965 when it was still WWII military surplus powder. I didn't own a chronograph until about forty years ago so I don't know velocity figures on the surplus powder. However, all the H4831 (usually kegs) I've bought since I began chronographing has been pretty consistent as to burn rate. If I can remember to do it, I'll check velocity after opening a new keg. With the 7x61 Sharpe & Hart cartridge as an example, I might have to adjust the powder charge by 1/2 grain to keep the muzzle velocity the same as it was with the previous batch of H4831. I think such a "discrepancy" is well within the industry allowance for lot-to-lot variance.

I've seen the same consistency with H4350 and H4895, two powders I've used a lot of for a long time and that I buy in kegs.

H4350 in a 6.5 CM using 40-42grs and Fed210's will generally run in the 2700-2750 range with 140gr bullets in a 24"barrel, and this has been the case with several lots myself and my buddies nave been using over the past few years. The last 3 different 10# lots I acquired were within10FPS with my 6.5x47L load. About 3-4 years ago there were reports with the PRS crowd that some lots of H4350 had wide velocity variations in velocity. If you are certain the low velocity is not due to other factors(rifle, chronograph, etc), I would consider your new lot of H4350 to be out of spec,…low. IMO.

H4350 in a 6.5 CM using 40-42grs and Fed210's will generally run in the 2700-2750 range with 140gr bullets in a 24"barrel, and this has been the case with several lots myself and my buddies nave been using over the past few years. The last 3 different 10# lots I acquired were within10FPS with my 6.5x47L load. About 3-4 years ago there were reports with the PRS crowd that some lots of H4350 had wide velocity variations in velocity. If you are certain the low velocity is not due to other factors(rifle, chronograph, etc), I would consider your new lot of H4350 to be out of spec,…low. IMO.
That's what I am thinking also. Plan on adding charge wt to get back to 2700 fps. Will see how much it takes. Will take awhile though, hunting season is upon us, so will build a new chart of this current load and wait till after the season to bump up the charge wt.
I also agree with those that have had consistency from lot to lot. 40+ years of loading and have never seen such a dramatic change. Few fps at the most.