Cell Camera Addiction!

I started using Moultrie cell cameras last year for elk. I have 3 now. It is awesome getting pictures without having to visit the cameras. Surprisingly, they require less cell signal than my phone does. A few from last year and this year.
30EE719B-2168-46D6-8D2A-6F6E30437F8C.jpeg
B17B45A8-E2BE-4D12-912F-C1B208DB474F.jpeg
8A799AE0-65AE-4F87-AA9F-CA898A64DE7D.jpeg
77A32193-75B9-48D4-B7CE-C961309E431E.jpeg
BDF63601-B31B-4706-8C6C-E3F2669BEF3E.jpeg
79EE8FC3-BE16-4842-A3F8-358863FBD35B.jpeg
143F152C-2DFA-40A5-A9BD-E43F2664E0B8.jpeg
D359BAAA-5684-4C83-8EFE-600EC55D6F64.jpeg

Bob

How does this work as far as needing a contract with ATT or Verizon?

I can only speak to the Moultrie cameras. You buy either a Verizon or AT&T camera. It has NOTHING to do with your cellphone plan. The camera has its own SIMM card. You activate the camera through Moultrie's app and select a monthly plan from $5/month and up. The plan prices are based on the number of pictures it transmits per month. I have 3 cameras that are now bundled into an unlimited plan. It's about $35/month right now. There is no activation charge or commitment. After the hunting seasons, I down grade to a smaller plan. No charge to change plans. The cameras have a regular SD card to store pictures, and video, if you choose. You can select how often the camera sends its pictures, from immediate, 8 times a day, to once a day. The pictures are sent to their cloud service. Then I get a notification on my phone that there are new pictures. I can view and save them on my phone, tablet or computer. The transmitted images are thumbnail size, like 70KB. You can request a high res, 20MB, image at anytime. They count as more pictures transmitted. You can also pull the originals off the SD card when you visit or move the cameras.

Bob

6B6E493D-2D52-4DB6-ABB5-B26F12C011A4.jpeg

Your taking the HUNT out of HUNTING these things should be banned everywhere.
So shooting 1000 yards or the next zip code at an animal is any different? Its a tool no different than anything else we use for hunting. Ethical hunting is how you kill the animal within the laws of the state, province you are hunting in.

This guy is certainly not camera shy! He doesn't care where the camera is located. He is going to walk wherever he wants. How the heck did he get so big being this nonchalant? Then again, once horns get hard I bet he disappears completely!!
2020.08.19.JPG

So shooting 1000 yards or the next zip code at an animal is any different? Its a tool no different than anything else we use for hunting. Ethical hunting is how you kill the animal within the laws of the state, province you are hunting in.
There has been some pretty poor sportsmanship with these Cell type cameras. We've had guys in my state set them on multiple waterholes and when they get the signal/picture they dash to the waterhole and make the kill. This practice has made game and fish set parameters with these type of cameras in my state. To me that's not right and that's not hunting. Shooting at 600, 700, 800 yards takes skill and a lot of practice. Sitting in camp waiting for your camera to go off to alert you of the quarry you're after Is again poor sportsmanship and there's no skill in it. I use cameras but no cell cams. I like going out in the field and checking them. To each their own.

wv270wsm: What a tank!
Yeah they are both very nice. It would be awesome if they could survive till next year . But we only have 140 acres and I can guarantee the neighbors have already seen them. But I'm all about fair chase. I'd love to my kids or cousins kids kill these 2

Even the normal cameras are illegal to use here during any hunting season, which doesn't really bother me, less stuff to buy i guess. It would be fun to have my phone go off every once in while with something that doesn't annoy me though.

Maybe you missed my ethical statement. Unethical hunters will do what ever they can for the "kill" which is not hunting as we know.. The actions of a few cannot determine the fate of the majority. As for shooting long distance, that is what it is to some folks and not hunting. I believe it is up to an individual to hunt ethically within legal requirements. We don't have to like a method nor do we have to condone a method as long as it is legal. A lot of folks also despise Ozonics as unfair advantage. We do not have the right to restrain a legal means because we don't like it or "know" unethical use of that method. If a cell cam is being used in violation of game laws, its up to each one of us to stop it like any other game violation. The real position for all of us is " Ethics is doing the right thing when nobody is watching".

Maybe you missed my ethical statement. Unethical hunters will do what ever they can for the "kill" which is not hunting as we know.. The actions of a few cannot determine the fate of the majority. As for shooting long distance, that is what it is to some folks and not hunting. I believe it is up to an individual to hunt ethically within legal requirements. We don't have to like a method nor do we have to condone a method as long as it is legal. A lot of folks also despise Ozonics as unfair advantage. We do not have the right to restrain a legal means because we don't like it or "know" unethical use of that method. If a cell cam is being used in violation of game laws, its up to each one of us to stop it like any other game violation. The real position for all of us is " Ethics is doing the right thing when nobody is watching".

I was not coming after your post. I was just furthering the discussion. I agree completely with your thought process.

I agree its just like Christmas everytime a notification goes off.

I got my first cellular camera a month ago. After 3 weeks of getting nothing done due to always checking notifications i had to turn of notifications 😒.

Its very addictive if your not careful

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.