CCP Baloon over the US

You guys realize that we let, and they let each other purposely fly spy planes over each others countries all the time right? Both sides hide the things they don't want seen, and it keeps tensions down and that way we're not shooting each other down.

This balloon didn't get anything that you couldn't get from a satellite or one of the many flights they do.

Mapping our bases? Are you for real? Have you yet to discover google maps? The military is very aware that anything in public view is fair game. And uh... the direction of the runways and where the barracks are is quite public. You can fly a Cessna roughly 3000ft over *almost* all the military bases in the US, and not even talk to anyone doing it. The one's you can't fly directly over, I can't think of one you can't get closer than 11 miles horizontally at a similar altitude.
The military are not a bunch of morons, they know this. Secret things aren't left out in the open for anyone with a couple thousand dollars in glass can see.

Good points! However taking for granted the narrative it was just spying, doesn't come from institutions known for telling us the truth.

The Japanese weaponized balloons in WW2, and this was kept form the public. Not much has changed in the flow of information.

We haven't seen this much interest in a weather balloon since Roswell. LOL!

Good points! However taking for granted the narrative it was just spying, doesn't come from institutions known for telling us the truth.

The Japanese weaponized balloons in WW2, and this was kept form the public. Not much has changed in the flow of information.

We haven't seen this much interest in a weather balloon since Roswell. LOL!
It doesn't help that the picture pretty much everyone is using for this balloon was actually a research balloon launched in South Dakota and had ads-b broadcasting on it, as required by law.
The Chinese aren't putting transponders on their spy balloons. You'll notice in the photos of the shoot down, there's no large panels hanging under the thing.

You guys realize that we let, and they let each other purposely fly spy planes over each others countries all the time right? Both sides hide the things they don't want seen, and it keeps tensions down and that way we're not shooting each other down.

This balloon didn't get anything that you couldn't get from a satellite or one of the many flights they do.

Mapping our bases? Are you for real? Have you yet to discover google maps? The military is very aware that anything in public view is fair game. And uh... the direction of the runways and where the barracks are is quite public. You can fly a Cessna roughly 3000ft over *almost* all the military bases in the US, and not even talk to anyone doing it. The one's you can't fly directly over, I can't think of one you can't get closer than 11 miles horizontally at a similar altitude.
The military are not a bunch of morons, they know this. Secret things aren't left out in the open for anyone with a couple thousand dollars in glass can see.

It doesn't help that the picture pretty much everyone is using for this balloon was actually a research balloon launched in South Dakota and had ads-b broadcasting on it, as required by law.
The Chinese aren't putting transponders on their spy balloons. You'll notice in the photos of the shoot down, there's no large panels hanging under the thing.
The balloon was tracked across Alaska, across Canada to Montana. The payload is seen dropping at missile strike.

The intent is not surveillance, strictly measurement of decision making response. They got what they wanted, the decision making paralysis observed will embolden them to consider future actions.

Screenshot_20230205_105137.jpg

Fly your Cessna over an Air Base. I'm curious what would happen . Maybe a SAC base like a Warren here. Just saying. Wait , I forgot we have OBiden as prez. He might think it's a Chinese plan.

Fly your Cessna over an Air Base. I'm curious what would happen . Maybe a SAC base like a Warren here. Just saying. Wait , I forgot we have OBiden as prez. He might think it's a Chinese plan.
I have. So have thousands of other pilots. It's restricted at a few of them, but the vast majority it's not. This is all published if you know how to read a map.

Even groom lake you can get within about 12 miles of. Plenty close enough to see it. Doesn't much matter because you can see the same stuff on your couch looking at google maps.

You guys realize that we let, and they let each other purposely fly spy planes over each others countries all the time right?
Let? I don't think so. Maybe we should float a spy balloon across China or North Korea. I'm sure they'll let it float across their country.
Of course we and most countries fly spy planes over other countries but this was a slow roll which may have provided other information that a plane can't.
And it made us look like defenseless bafoons against a balloon.

Let? I don't think so. Maybe we should float a spy balloon across China or North Korea. I'm sure they'll let it float across their country.
Of course we and most countries fly spy planes over other countries but this was a slow roll which may have provided other information that a plane can't.
And it made us look like defenseless bafoons against a balloon.
Yes. Let. It was the open skies treaty. China is not a member, and we actually withdrew in 2020 so it's not a thing here anymore, at least for us.

Point is, you guys are getting worked up about about nothing at all. And clearly don't have an understanding on how the US airspace system works.

Last edited:
Are you a ranking officer for the CCP?
Asking for a friend
Yes. Let. It was the open skies treaty. China is not a member, and we actually withdrew in 2020 so it's not a thing here anymore, at least for us.

Point is, you guys are getting worked about about nothing at all. And clearly don't have an understanding on how the US airspace system works.