Case trimmer- what to buy and not to buy

The Frankford Case Trim and Prep Center might just be a better mouse trap. I would like to try it someday.
After seeing all the rave reviews on this thread, I had to go see what this thing was about. After watching a video on it and reading the positive reviews here, it really DOES seem like a clever solution to a long time 'chore' we face as reloaders.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HS7JEB4/?tag=lrhmag19-20
Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System, $150
Next time someone is looking for a 'gift idea' for me, I think I know just what to tell them to get! Hey, Father's Day is coming up, right? I'm a Dad. Sweet, ha!

You guys and gals on this forum are a continual source of good information. I appreciate it.

I've got the Redding case trimming lathe and I really enjoy it . You chuck the case into the collet style holder and instead of turning the cutter you spin the case. It does square everything up nice for sure. The only thing I don't like about it is buying the extra pilots but it comes with several common ones. I believe now they have a powered version of it that you don't have to manually spin the handle. I've trimmed probably close to a truckload of brass with it and never had an issue that wasn't operator error

Frankford arsenal & giraud tri-way & trim-it 2 trimmer Are very interesting. This has been some great insight from you all and I appreciate it. The amount of good information on this particular post will help a lot of people. Thanks fellas. This is going to be a lot of research and a hard decision.

I own the LE Wilson as well. Own the redding 2400 as well the LE Wilson is way better trims every thing square with the case.

There can be a lot of shell holders to buy with it as in some instances there's one for new brass and one for fired brass.

It is very consistent.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

I've used the Forster case trimmer and the Lyman case trimmers (with appropriate caliber pilots) and they frustrate the hell out of me. It seems no matter how tight I set the screw to hold a certain trim length, they invariably start cutting cases shorter and shorter. I'm sure it's "me" but I gave up on THAT method.

For me, I now like the Lee Case Trimmer Cutter and Lock Stud setup.
View attachment 137070
I own one for each cartridge I reload for (they are cheap; about $7) and I just chuck it up in my cordless drill and trim every deprimed case to EXACTLY THE SAME LENGTH every time. It works for me.

You buy the CUTTER & LOCK STUD once and use these two parts over and over:
View attachment 137071
Then you buy the shellholder and case length gauge for each cartridge you'll be reloading:
View attachment 137072

Since this is a LONG RANGE forum, many folks on here are long range target shooters and like to let their cases 'grow' a bit, so the LEE system isn't for them. But since you aren't doing the long range target 'thing', the LEE system could be just the ticket for you. I've used it for years and really like the simplicity and consistency.
Frog I am so glad I am not alone with the Lyman and Forster trimmers. I cant for the life of me get same LOA. I am changing my method after I move and set up my loading bench in our new house

Another vote for the LE Wilson. Have used a lot of trimmers but this is by far the most consistent trimmer I have ever used, well worth the coin for it and the shell holders! Run mine on a QD plate that mounts on the inline fab ultramount so I can swap out presses and trimmer as needed in about 10 seconds
View attachment 137163

nice reloading set up. Fixing to redo my complete setup due to a move. That should be another thread topic on how to set up a loading bench set up.

nice reloading set up. Fixing to redo my complete setup due to a move. That should be another thread topic on how to set up a loading bench set up.
I already made one and it's running strong right now. U will get plenty of ideas from it! That is the entire reason I started it! Link below and drool away some of these cats are SERIOUS!

If u doing volume u don't need super consistency let's be honest about any ok trimmer will get good enough hell most calibers trim length is way to generous anyhow. But when u neck turning batches of 100 u need accurate and the Wilson does it better than any trimmer I have found. I mean if u take your time, I have seen .0005 between cases of new brass once setup for the shorter piece. It's all in your type of pew pew your doing

If u doing volume u don't need super consistency let's be honest about any ok trimmer will get good enough hell most calibers trim length is way to generous anyhow. But when u neck turning batches of 100 u need accurate and the Wilson does it better than any trimmer I have found. I mean if u take your time, I have seen .0005 between cases of new brass once setup for the shorter piece. It's all in your type of pew pew your doing

As far as reloading I don't do a mass quantity of shooting. Maybe 700 rounds a year but I only shoot 6 months a year due to the heat in the south. It more for game shooting out to possible 1100 yards. Longest personal shot on game has be around 775 yards. Ive had other opportunity to shoot farther but I will not take a shot past 600 unless I have ideal conditions. My reloading is fairly more into precision for long range hunting with a touch of playing at much longer ranges such as 1100 yards. I like many on this forum reload for consistency and accuracy. I've used an old I think hand crank lee trimmer for 20 years and it was a hand me down. Then everything else was done by hand. It's just wore out and I knew that people on this forum is a wealth of information so I'm going to buy a good trimmer and make life easier. Being wore out and and I want to step into the 21st century with a new case trimmer.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.