Case trimmer- what to buy and not to buy

Frankford, brass prep station, best deal, ever, multiple calibers, very cleaver sizer Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System with Hardened High Speed Steel Chamfer Debur Tool and Primer Pocket Scrapers with Trimmer

I've tried several of the inexpensive case trimmers, Lee, Lyman etc. and tried to chamfer and debur by hand. A few years ago I decided to spend the money and get the Frankford Case Trim and Prep center and will never go back. Once adjusted, this makes case trimming, deburing, chamfering and cleaning the primer pocket a breeze. You can do the entire process in about 15 seconds. :)

The Frankford Case Trim and Prep Center might just be a better mouse trap. I would like to try is someday.

Another vote for Frankford Arsenal Platinum. Mine work well, and are insanely convenient.

I have two of them. You know why? First one started making a weird clicking noise in the shaft a few days before the 1 year warranty was up, so I emailed Frankford. They asked for a video of the sound. Emailed video. Week later, brand new trimmer showed up in the mail. No questions asked. No return request.

The first trimmer still makes that weird noise every so often, but is still working great after thousands of brass have gone through it.

L.E. Wilson is my favorite I have used. You do have to chamfer and debur with a different tool though.

Drawbacks- you need a vice, and you need a collet for each cartridge family you want to load.

Benefits- very repeatable, easy to clean, easy to stow away and it cuts the mouth absolutely perpendicular to the base.

I have run 5000+ cases over mine and haven't seen any issues. they also have a power adapter so you can hook it up to a drill.
I'll second the Wilson. I've tried quite a few but nothing comes close for me. I've had mine since the early 70's. The only suggestion I have is to get the model with the micrometer for setting the length. They didn't have that option when I bought my first one. After more than fifty thousand rounds I was thinking about ordering a new cutter and saw the micrometer upgrade. I decided to get a whole new one because they had it in stainless. Wouldn't buy it any other way than the stainless with the micrometer stop. I've been using the new one for about 15 years and love it. The micrometer stop makes it a breeze to change calibers just write down the setting for each one and dial it in. Easily change the cutting depth to a thousandth of an inch and repeat it between changes.

The Giraud looks like it operates on the same principle as the Frankford case trimmer but you would still need to chamfer and debur separately with different tools. Is it true that it only does 223?

Looks like it does a few.

Available Cartridge Sizes
  • ..223 Remington and family
    • Also trims .17 Remington, .204 Ruger, .222 Remington, .222 Remington Magnum
  • .308 Winchester and family
    • Also trims .243 Winchester, .260 Remington, 7mm-08
  • ..30-06 Springfield and family
    • Also trims .25-06, .270 Winchester, .280 Remington
  • .300 Blackout and family
    • Also trims .17 Rem Fireball, .20 Vartarg, .221 Fireball
  • 7.62x39
  • .300 Winchester Mag and family
    • Also trims .264 Winchester Magnum, 7mm Remington Magnum, .308 Norma Magnum

I've tried several of the inexpensive case trimmers, Lee, Lyman etc. and tried to chamfer and debur by hand. A few years ago I decided to spend the money and get the Frankford Case Trim and Prep center and will never go back. Once adjusted, this makes case trimming, deburing, chamfering and cleaning the primer pocket a breeze. You can do the entire process in about 15 seconds. :)
+1 for the Frankford Arsenal Case trimmer Prep center. I started with the Lyman, then bought the Little Crow, but now use the Frankford almost exclusively except when I want to trim 1-2 cases. Then I use the Lyman. The little crow, I haven't found the need to use it in 2 plus years.

+1 for the Frankford Arsenal Case trimmer Prep center. I started with the Lyman, then bought the Little Crow, but now use the Frankford almost exclusively except when I want to trim 1-2 cases. Then I use the Lyman. The little crow, I haven't found the need to use it in 2 plus years.
+2 for Frankford, been using mine for about 3 years now.

I don't care for the Wilson as i feel it has the best chance for error. Way to many chances for tolerance buildup not getting a square cut. Have used the Lee system for quite a few years and find it's simplicity, accuracy and cost unmatched by other trimmers on the market.

I have trimmed thousands of cases with a Wilson over the last 60 yrs. with no errors!

I've used the Forster case trimmer and the Lyman case trimmers (with appropriate caliber pilots) and they frustrate the hell out of me. It seems no matter how tight I set the screw to hold a certain trim length, they invariably start cutting cases shorter and shorter. I'm sure it's "me" but I gave up on THAT method.

For me, I now like the Lee Case Trimmer Cutter and Lock Stud setup.
View attachment 137070
I own one for each cartridge I reload for (they are cheap; about $7) and I just chuck it up in my cordless drill and trim every deprimed case to EXACTLY THE SAME LENGTH every time. It works for me.

You buy the CUTTER & LOCK STUD once and use these two parts over and over:
View attachment 137071
Then you buy the shellholder and case length gauge for each cartridge you'll be reloading:
View attachment 137072

Since this is a LONG RANGE forum, many folks on here are long range target shooters and like to let their cases 'grow' a bit, so the LEE system isn't for them. But since you aren't doing the long range target 'thing', the LEE system could be just the ticket for you. I've used it for years and really like the simplicity and consistency.
I'm one of THOSE guys, and I have always been very happy with the Wilson case trimmer setup with carbide cutter, and micrometer adjustment. Each caliber (case) has its own holder that sets the case in line and perpendicular to the cutter. But I like trimming so all cases are +/- 0.001". Overkill for hunting...

Have you ever run into issues if the flash holes are off-kilter?
When I shot across the course (NRA Highpower Rifle) I always used USGI, Winchester or Rem brass and ran into that issue a lot. I used to flash hole uniform ALL those cases. Now I just buy Lapua brass and don't worry about it.

Frankford arsenal case trim and prep center is by far the best trimmer/reloading investment I've made. I have used the lyman eze trim and lee hand trim with success but they are so slow. Lee quick trim didn't work well for me unless I cleaned it out every two or three trims. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.