Case trimmer- what to buy and not to buy

I agree with everything said except that I mounted mine a 2' piece of 2x6 so no vice needed. I've used just about all of them and, to me, this one is the best and most repeatable. You'll never need another one.

L.E. Wilson is my favorite I have used. You do have to chamfer and debur with a different tool though.

Drawbacks- you need a vice, and you need a collet for each cartridge family you want to load.

Benefits- very repeatable, easy to clean, easy to stow away and it cuts the mouth absolutely perpendicular to the base.

I have run 5000+ cases over mine and haven't seen any issues. they also have a power adapter so you can hook it up to a drill.

Another vote for the LE Wilson. Have used a lot of trimmers but this is by far the most consistent trimmer I have ever used, well worth the coin for it and the shell holders! Run mine on a QD plate that mounts on the inline fab ultramount so I can swap out presses and trimmer as needed in about 10 seconds
2312662F-1C7A-4EA8-8594-879578CD5F84.jpeg

Last edited:
I've used the Forster case trimmer and the Lyman case trimmers (with appropriate caliber pilots) and they frustrate the hell out of me. It seems no matter how tight I set the screw to hold a certain trim length, they invariably start cutting cases shorter and shorter. I'm sure it's "me" but I gave up on THAT method.

For me, I now like the Lee Case Trimmer Cutter and Lock Stud setup.
I own one for each cartridge I reload for (they are cheap; about $7) and I just chuck it up in my cordless drill and trim every deprimed case to EXACTLY THE SAME LENGTH every time. It works for me.

You buy the CUTTER & LOCK STUD once and use these two parts over and over
Then you buy the shellholder and case length gauge for each cartridge you'll be reloading:

Since this is a LONG RANGE forum, many folks on here are long range target shooters and like to let their cases 'grow' a bit, so the LEE system isn't for them. But since you aren't doing the long range target 'thing', the LEE system could be just the ticket for you. I've used it for years and really like the simplicity and consistency.

I also have the Forester and the LEE system for all my rifles. When I was just loading a few rounds at a time the LEE was fine. For 50+ rounds at a time I went to the Forester. What I found was that if I just jammed the brass into the holder it could hang up on the wrong diameter and then get cut short. I slowed down and rotated the brass as I inserted it and all was well. Like stated elsewhere some rounds were short to start with and did not need trimming. Don't forget to chamfer in and out.

LE Wilson. I've tried the Lee and the Lyman for me not repeatable. If I was going to get something different I'd get the giraurd

I'm not sure how the LEE system could NOT be repeatable, but I suppose there's always a way to mess something up. Good thing we have CHOICES so everyone can find the system that works for them. I managed to 'mess up' the simple lathe turning action of the Forster and Lyman products and I'm sure they are 'good' and people like them, too. With the LEE system, I really can't seem to 'screw it up' and every case comes out the same length (for me!) I like that. Plus the cases are cut 'square' and on center. It's one of the few LEE products I think is really good.

L. E. Wilson
I don't care for the Wilson as i feel it has the best chance for error. Way to many chances for tolerance buildup not getting a square cut. Have used the Lee system for quite a few years and find it's simplicity, accuracy and cost unmatched by other trimmers on the market.

LE Wilson for small volume (<50) or need for consistency
Giraud for volume. Mostly 223, 22-250, 204, and 308, Pricy and takes awhile to get one and get extra collets or cutters

LE Wilson for small volume (<50) or need for consistency
Giraud for volume. Mostly 223, 22-250, 204, and 308, Pricy and takes awhile to get one and get extra collets or cutters

I started with the Wilson and switched to a Giraud trimmer. As you said, if loading volume then the Giraud is the way to go. I still have the Wilson for a few calibers I shoot and use it when neck turning.

Frankford, brass prep station, best deal, ever, multiple calibers, very cleaver sizer Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System with Hardened High Speed Steel Chamfer Debur Tool and Primer Pocket Scrapers with Trimmer
I've tried several of the inexpensive case trimmers, Lee, Lyman etc. and tried to chamfer and debur by hand. A few years ago I decided to spend the money and get the Frankford Case Trim and Prep center and will never go back. Once adjusted, this makes case trimming, deburing, chamfering and cleaning the primer pocket a breeze. You can do the entire process in about 15 seconds. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.