Case Trimmer Problem

Blacktail

I have an RCBS case trimmer and i am noticing it seems to not be cutting my cases square for my 7 MMSTW brass. I checked it out and everything seems to be in good shape. Someone told me the lee manual trimmer may be a better choice any thoughts on what is going on or maybe a different trimmer?

Rotate the brass 180 degrees and give it a few more turns. That what I do with my RCBS. I know where you are coming from, my RCBS is the same. It has a wobble. What are you using for 7mm STW brass? I use Winchester but the primer holes are so off centre on them that my cull rate has been near 60%.

Got myself a Wilson and had great results and square cuts. Doesn't solve your problem, but if you buy again you may give it a try.

I found the same thing... The RCBS unit will flex if you push on it too hard and it may not be square to begin with if your luck is like mine. I finally broke down and bought the Forster trimmer. It seems to make square cuts on the trimming operation and I can neck turn at the same time.
Coyoter

I had the same problem with the rcbs. I then bought the wilson/sinclair case trimmer and never looked back. The wilson timmer also allows you to square case heads.
slygunner

been using winchester becuause that was all i had. Really new to the loading game. The guy that built my gun recommended Remington. I posted up just today to get suggestions..

buy lapua brass and it's good to go out of the box. forster is hard to beat. you'll never be sorry buying fine eqipment and brass.

I had a Forster trimmer and ultimately switched to a Wilson trimmer. For me, the Wilson is easier to work with, faster and more accurate.

When you wrote this post I had just bought a Redding 2400 with the micrometer on it. something I had wanted on my old one. I have worked with is a couple of weeks and I like it. The mouths are square and you can repeart measurement perfictly at least so far. I used to have an RCBS and hated it for that reason. I will also recomend using Norma or Lapua brass. It hurts a little to buy it but it lasts alot longer and you can anneal it and get even more use out of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.