Case cleaning

Having had one for over 40 years, I highly recomned the Thumblers Tumbler Model B. They essentially last forever for around $150 at Midway. I have replaced many belts and replaced the rollers once but the tub itself is more or less bullet proof. I clean all my brass and moly plate many bullets with mine.

My belts went bad for two reasons. 1, I tend to overload the tub and 2, I didn't used to take the belt (essentially a clear plastic o-ring) off when the tumbler wasn't being used. I now remove the belt when it's not in use and they last a whole lot longer. I think the current belt has been on there a couple of years! I also clean the belt with Brake Clean when it starts looking greasy or slips a bit. I keep a can of Break Free next to my tumbler and give it a squirt into both of the lube ports on the motor, everytime I tumble anything. I also put a bit of the Break Free on all 4 of the nylon rollers. I keep the tumbler on a piece of carpet in the basement. I usually run it for 4 to 6 hours. All nickel brass only takes a couple of hours.

The tub will hold perhaps 4 or 500 .223 cases. I decap all my brass first, then use the tumbler with BoreTech liquid cleaner and steel pins. Thd brass comes out looking like brand new, inside and out, including perfectly clean primer pockets.

I've used all kinds of stuff to clean cases, from walnut hulls to corn cob grit, to Dawn and steel pins and now the BoreTech (when I had a comnercial reloading operation, I used corn cob grit & Brasso in a cemet mixer!). I've never had *anything* work as well as the BoreTech! I happen to like my brass looking like new before I load it!

Yes, occasionally a couple of the steel pins will get stuck in a flash hole. Easy to spot and easy to remove. There's simply no way you're going to prime a case with a couple of pins stuck in it! I take the brass and pins and dump them into a heavy duty gallon jug with a lot of holes it, shake the brass around over a bucket and rinse the brass well (I don't want anything left in my cases before I load them!). I dry it for a couple of days on a towel, picking up any stray pins with a magnet, just to make sure there's no water left in a primer pocket.

This works perfectly for me. Of course, everyone can use whatever lights their candle! There is always a different way to skin the proverbial cat! If you're happy with what ever you are using now, why switch? When I first started reloading (using Lee "basher" dies), I used vinegar to (sort of) clean my cases! Doesn't work all that well and the brass doesn't like it long term but it was a start! But evolution happens, until you get to where you really want to be! Ah yes, progress!But
Cheers,
crkckr
Ditto almost exactly, except I use BRASS pins, in a mixture of cream of tartar or LemiShine and a few drops of dawn. Tumble clean in about 30-45 minutes, including flash holes. Use old Ronco, "Set it and Forget it", Dehydrator to dry when outside weather won't get it done. Miss old Ron!

Quit cleaning cases years ago. Found for me it was unnecessary.

None of you set your brass on a rectangular shaped flat pan and put it in the oven at 200 degrees for a bit to dry them? I used to do that before I just gave up and clean them with 0000 steel wool now.

None of you set your brass on a rectangular shaped flat pan and put it in the oven at 200 degrees for a bit to dry them? I used to do that before I just gave up and clean them with 0000 steel wool now.
After wet SS tumbling thousands of cases, I've never gone to any work to dry them. But then I don't try to reload cases on the day I tumble.

I dump them out on a towel and spread them out to dry.

How many loads do you get out of your brass? 10 is usually the limit for mine, but most of mine are magnum cartridges. Why do you say it does occasionally need to be tumbled? How much carbon build up is in the brass? Does it remove needed cass capacity?

Some of my brass has been reloaded more than 10x. I've talked to guys that have fired cases 20-30x. If you don't run max loads, and minimally resize your cases, they will last much longer. Annealing extends usable case life too.

I will occasionally clean them for cosmetic reasons or to remove the Imperial Sizing Wax.

I don't believe that carbon builds up inside the cases to any measurable or consequential extent. Carbon on the inside of a case does not reduce case capacity.

I've used a few methods to dry cases. Generally, I just lay the cases out in the direct sun and go on to other things. If it's rainy or cold, I lay them all out on a towel with the case mouths facing the same direction. I place a fan in front of the cases so that the air flows into the case mouths. I'll leave it like that for several hours. If I'm in a hurry to reload the cases, I put them in an aluminum tray that fits in the toaster-oven. 15 min at about 200deg and then shut off the heat and leave them to cool down in the closed oven. They stay hot for a while.