Cleaning Process

I heartily agree. Like I mentioned, run a clean dry patch through the barrel after fouling to get the carbon and crud left behind by the powder and primer and never put any firearm away dirty.

I only clean one the groups open up. Otherwise no cleaning for me
This! I'm up to almost 1000 rounds on a 223 and she's still hammering so I'm not touching the bore. Only thing I clean is action, bolt, and I'll wipe down the outside of gun but the bore doesn't get touched until groups open up or I get something foreign in the bore i.e. mud or water.

Many people do more damage to bore by cleaning than by shooting IMO. To each their own.

As far as rust buildup I beleive this is more a moisture problem than gunpowder problem. I've got firearms that have sat for years without a hint of rust but my room also has a dehumidifier running all the time as well as an in safe one.

Last edited:
If you finish a session at the range with an accurate rifle, then go home and clean the bore, do you then have to return to the range to "foul in" the bore to regain said rifles accuracy? If so, are these "fouling rounds" leaving the rifles bore acceptably clean in comparison to the bores condition prior to cleaning it??? Not in my book.

1 lightly oiled cotton patch on an undersized plastic jag before extended storage is one thing.

Using a stripping agent to completely remove the fouling is a different story. But if that's what it takes to make the warm and fuzzy feeling inside, by all means carry on!!!

Everybody has something that causes their, "Warm Fuzzy Feeling." For me...it's simply knowing that my rifle is clean but will require either a couple of sighting shots to foul the bore to improve accuracy, or not. Dependent on what I am hunting I may decide to not pre foul the bore knowing that the difference may only be an inch or two which at 100 yards which in inconsequential or make sure that I have at least fired a few primers in un powdered and un bulleted cartridges to burn out the oils and leave the bore ready to get it on accurately. To each their own. What works for you, works for you which is all that matters. ☺️

Everybody has something that causes their, "Warm Fuzzy Feeling." For me...it's simply knowing that my rifle is clean but will require either a couple of sighting shots to foul the bore to improve accuracy, or not. Dependent on what I am hunting I may decide to not pre foul the bore knowing that the difference may only be an inch or two which at 100 yards which in inconsequential or make sure that I have at least fired a few primers in un powdered and un bulleted cartridges to burn out the oils and leave the bore ready to get it on accurately. To each their own. What works for you, works for you which is all that matters. ☺️
I'm not giving anyone a hard time. There's no wrong answer to the clean or not to clean question. Confidence in your equipment and ability is as important as the equipment itself.

Hunting rifles get fouled before season and cleaned after. Unless they get wet. Long term storage gets clean to bare metal and lubed.

For me a fouled bore is more consistent than a stripped to the bare metal at long range. YMMV.

Recent Posts