Barrel cleaning

I just can not understand why shooters are so concerned about using a bronze bore brush to clean their rifle.
If one considers that you are sending a copper jacked bullet at lets say 2800 fps. and the propellent pushing that bullet is, for an instant, so intensely hot that the metal becomes, for that instant near melting.
I ask you, what does the most damage?

I use Bore Tech Eliminator solvent, and they recommend nylon bore brushes. I think they are safe to pull back through the bore, but make sure you push it all the way through first. Don't try to reverse the brush half-way through the barrel.
I also use bore tech products but I have found my rifle seems to clean up better when I use the carbon remover and then the copper remover separately also I would just beware about pushing your brush out the end of the barrel it's not the nylon that's going to hurt it it's when the brush comes out and your rod or the beginning of your nylon brush goes across the crown on the way back in

I just can not understand why shooters are so concerned about using a bronze bore brush to clean their rifle.
If one considers that you are sending a copper jacked bullet at lets say 2800 fps. and the propellent pushing that bullet is, for an instant, so intensely hot that the metal becomes, for that instant near melting.
I will use at least use 2 bore brush per rifle cleaning. Never had a problem and my cold bore shots are very consistent

I would never pull anything back through the bore that is nasty. I've seen some at the range just start jamming back and forth through the barrel after the first stroke and the patch is all fubar. If you punch your patch through and it's nasty then unscrew the brush and patch from the rod and start again from scratch. It takes a extra 30 seconds and the results are better for your rig. Just saying. Personally I don't pull ANYTHING at all back through the bore. I've had great results doing this.

I use under size nylon brushes and patches... sometimes cotton but more often paper towel cut to size. The brushes can be pulled back thru the bore but never a patch! These are on a strictly one way trip. The only possible exception would be a perfectly clean patch with oil on it. Bore guides and good rods are a must.

If you're using a full bore brush without a patch, for at least the first couple of passes I would not pull it back thru the barrel. Unscrew it and clean it. I keep my brushes clean with Brake Cleaner (or Carb cleaner, which is essentially the same thing) from Wally World. Don't put the stuff down your barrel, it can react with some cleaners! If you want to wash out any solvents from your barrel, use alcohol. Make sure it's well oiled afterwards.

I like the Bore Tech products but when really cleaning things out, I like Wipe-Out. It really gets the copper out of the barrel. I also, depending on how I feel at the moment, use Sweets 7.62, Hoppes Elite, Butches Bore Shine and Barnes CR-10. I even use Hoppes #9, mainly because I have a gallon of it. It's good for the first couple of passes to flush the larger pieces of crud out of the barrel. Then I go to one of the other cleaners.
Cheers,
crkckr

The main reason I do not use a bronze bore brush is because the copper solvent will react to the brush, and will always leave a blue or green tint on the patch. It makes it difficult to know when the barrel is free of copper. When using the nylon brush, you won't get a "false positive" of copper residue. I don't think a copper, brass, or bronze brush is harmful to the bore, nor is the nylon brush.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.