Cartridges That Need to be Revamped or Revived

Love the .280AI but define "Pump out good factory ammo..."

I am doing my part with the .338 federal and the .284! If I had to do a 6.5 I should do the 6.5-284 but would almost certainly go 6.5-280AI. Just more better and I have more .280 brass to neck down.

Fun thread
Federal has three offerings that I saw on their website, Hornady has the 162 grain precision hunter and I want to say Nosler has a couple offerings as well but I think just in the 140 grain?

Don't see much love for the triple deuce!

Yea. It is rather an oddity these days, but it was my first CF varmint cartridge in a Rem 700BDL and then I shot 100yd BR with one in a custom BR rifle. Super accurate then and now, as I still own both of those old favorites, but the 700BDL has donated a few worn barrels in my shop.

Untold numbers of P-dogs, other varmints and even deer have fallen to those 222's.

jbronner,

I am just saying I haven't seen any .280 AI on a shelf from Maine to NH to VT and NY in three years.
To that point I haven't seen much of any ammo on shelves in our area in three years! The pickings have been slim indeed. It's been a nightmare trying to find 7 1/2 shot 20 gauge for me for 2 years now. I have intermittent luck with 308 Win and 6.5 creedmoor and 30-06 but our local Running store has all but given up on stocking any ammo. I am seeing lots of 9mm now but finding rifle ammo n general has been a 3 year wild goose chase even for the popular cartridges…..if I see ammo for a rifle I own I just buy it now.

I have seen tons of .308, '06 and 6.5 CM (today)
Hit me up if you have a specific need.
Didn't look t the 20 gauge section but they had more than I've seen for shot shells in awhile.

I drive through your area quite often.

The Rem Mag family has a lot of potential that most folks don't realize. Remington didn't help their own case and they seem to be long forgotten to most.

The 8mm Rem Mag and 350 Rem Mag are among my favorite cartridges though. I've seen what they can do and have loads of faith in them. With the new Badlands .323 250gr coming out, it really puts the 8mm back into the game. If I could swing it someday, I'd love to build a custom 8mm Rem Mag and to take advantage of the new potential!

From top to bottom:
M700 BDL 6.5 Rem Mag
M700 BDL 350 Rem Mag
M600 350 Rem Mag
M700 BDL 8mm Rem Mag

Each of the BDLs is factory configured from Remington. The first two aren't very common with around 1,500 of each being produced (to my understanding).

The Rem Mag family has a lot of potential that most folks don't realize. Remington didn't help their own case and they seem to be long forgotten to most.

The 8mm Rem Mag and 350 Rem Mag are among my favorite cartridges though. I've seen what they can do and have loads of faith in them. With the new Badlands .323 250gr coming out, it really puts the 8mm back into the game. If I could swing it someday, I'd love to build a custom 8mm Rem Mag and to take advantage of the new potential!

From top to bottom:
M700 BDL 6.5 Rem Mag
M700 BDL 350 Rem Mag
M600 350 Rem Mag
M700 BDL 8mm Rem Mag

Each of the BDLs is factory configured from Remington. The first two aren't very common with around 1,500 of each being produced (to my understanding).
That's a beautiful collection and I am smitten with the M600/660's (especially when the shark fin is removed and a classy trigger guard is added), I'd love one in 308 with a custom 20 inch barrel.

I have seen tons of .308, '06 and 6.5 CM (today)
Hit me up if you have a specific need.
Didn't look t the 20 gauge section but they had more than I've seen for shot shells in awhile.

I drive through your area quite often.
I will shoot you a DM, I am always looking for 150-165 grain 308 hunting rounds and 165-180 grain 30-06, anything in the 140 class for the 6.5 gets my credit card out quickly.

jbronner,

I am just saying I haven't seen any .280 AI on a shelf from Maine to NH to VT and NY in three years.

Midsouth had 160gr Nosler Partion on the shelf as late as yesterday. Haven't looked this morning.

Still available:

AB177922-6171-40E7-B1C4-CFDECE461091.jpeg

Just curious, and forgive me if this has already been addresssd on this forum.

With the phenomenal success of the 280 AI, does the 270 AI have the same kind of potential?

Or is the difference minimal because the SAAMI pressure limits for the 270 is higher than the 280?
So Sierra list 9 .277 Bullets from 115-175 https://www.sierrabullets.com/product-category/rifle/?filter_diameter=0-277&query_type_diameter=or

Hornady lists 14 .277 bullets from 100-150 https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/#!/

Nosler lists 16 .277 bullets from 130-170 https://www.nosler.com/products/bullets.html?nl_caliber=334

Berger lists 6 .277 bullets from 130-170 https://bergerbullets.com/product-category/rifle-bullets/?caliber=270-caliber

With 45 bullets listed not including all the small and custom bullet manufactures I fail to see how we are limited in bullet selection when we have every thing from 100 gr varmint to 175 gr big game bullets. Build your 270s and go kill stuff!
I've always been told the same thing about 270 caliber and bullet selection. I made a trade for a 270 Win a few years ago and had every intention on re-barreling to a 6.5x284. After looking at the ballistic difference between the two and bullet selection I stayed with the 270 and had it re-chambered to 270 AI. I have yet to work up loads with any fireformed brass but even with the 1-10 twist I'll be pretty happy singing 130-150gr bullets faster.

The only real bullet selection you miss out on with the 270 is target/match bullets. The amount of quality hunting bullets for the caliber are pretty good and I'm glad to see that there are heavy for caliber bullets being developed as well.

Hornady did improve the 270. The 270/140gr SST/Superformance ammo is awesome. from a standard cartridge you get 140grain bullet with decent BC and terminal performance on deer going 3100 fps.
With Nosler, Hornady and Sierra 130 or 140 gr bullets it makes a fantastic target rifle shooting sub MOA groups all day long. I was thinking of trying out the 6.8 Western (Fancy name for a hot 270) but the only rifles I have found locally are Winchester XPR's and while relatively inexpensive don't really trip my trigger. There are Brownings X Bolts out there, but trying to find one is not exactly easy nor is ordering one not to mention a bit overpriced for what you get. Then there is the Ammo issue, being no 6.8 Western ammo to be found, factory or otherwise, no components that I could find. Who knows maybe before I get too old to shoot I will find one to play with.

Midsouth had 160gr Nosler Partion on the shelf as late as yesterday. Haven't looked this morning.

Still available:
Yeah, and another pleasure of living in NY...I can't just scour the internet and order ammo. It has to go to a storefront then they get to add some more tax on it. Very hard to digest.

I roll my own and may be the best part of my kids inheritance LOL

Thanks for the link though.