Cartridges That Need to be Revamped or Revived

Problem is, it's pinned between 2 more popular, more efficient and effective cartridges of the same family. I built a trio of ARs in 308, 338 and 358 Winchester, using WC barrels, the 308 and 358 were more accurate, but that didn't stop me from loving the 338 Federal. So much so, I plan a build on a stripped Model 7 stainless action so I can see exactly what it will do.
I guess the threading for 700's and the 600/660's is also the same….I asked McGowen if that meant you could run their Remage system with the nut on a 600/660 action and he said yes…..that would be a sweet little rifle 🤔 I am already spending my next couple paychecks in my mind 😂

I guess the threading for 700's and the 600/660's is also the same….I asked McGowen if that meant you could run their Remage system with the nut on a 600/660 action and he said yes…..that would be a sweet little rifle 🤔 I am already spending my next couple paychecks in my mind 😂
BigGreen always manages to sabotage so many of their great ideas...talk about the ultimate elk mountain rifle..a .350 rem mag, the short mag 50 years before the others..built on the 600 action...lightweight, accurate and great maneuverability, far ahead of anything ever dreamed of in the 60's.. I bought one of the model 7 synthetic stainless .300 saums which can't be beat in the mountains...sad part they discontinued that also quickly...then we come to their greatest screw up the 8mm rem mag, buy that's another story..leave it up to BigGreen..

BigGreen always manages to sabotage so many of their great ideas...talk about the ultimate elk mountain rifle..a .350 rem mag, the short mag 50 years before the others..built on the 600 action...lightweight, accurate and great maneuverability, far ahead of anything ever dreamed of in the 60's.. I bought one of the model 7 synthetic stainless .300 saums which can't be beat in the mountains...sad part they discontinued that also quickly...then we come to their greatest screw up the 8mm rem mag, buy that's another story..leave it up to BigGreen..
Maybe they need to hire hunters on their marketing team instead of just anyone with an MBA! Making money is about selling a good product that people want….hunters know what hunters want, regardless of a business degree. Corporate America I think in general shoots themselves in the foot when it comes to this mindset of "hire people with fancy degrees". When I did my masters program I was a research and teaching assistant and I can tell you one thing: professors purposefully give everyone good grades because it helps retain students, gets them solid ratings, keeps parents happy and money in the coffers…college isn't about education anymore it's about making money….the quickest way to turn a profit is to start a non-profit! Having a team that has a bunch of degrees doesn't really mean a **** thing anymore, it means you paid and survived. People need a knowledge of the products they sell and their audience. I look at Savage today and shake my head, I look at Browning and Smith & Wesson and say "these guys get their customers".

This upcoming generation is so poorly educated and additionally they don't have any skills, interpersonal or technical. We need more voc tech schools. And a different hiring mindset or we are doomed. (Rant over)

Ruger has the RCM's with 20 inch barrels and the brakes attached plus iron sights in their guide gun series….if they offered this with a carbon fiber stock and nice recoil pad….cerakote that sucker and sign me up.

Speaking of writers….Thoughts on John B. Snow?
He writes a lot about cartridges, recently did a piece comparing the old to new cartridges that was very well written. I'd like to see him do more on updating old cartridges though and the missed potential factor. The 8mm and 350 Rem Mags are to me the "Josh Gordon of rifle cartridges", so much talent/potential that just never came together.

Would love to build a 20 inch barrel brush gun for New England deer and bear in 338 federal
I got a guy at work who is head over heels for this new 8.6 blackout. Every time he mentions it I say "you mean a shorter 338fed"...... he gets ****y..... I get a laugh. I know they are not the same thing but I'd argue it's the 338 equivalent of 6.5cm vs 260rem.

I'm not sure if I feel comfortable shooting anything with a 1:3tw but it's definitely "out of the box" thinking. Sammi keeps the average Joe from blowing his face off and the average Joe makes up 90% of the shooting populous. So unless the Sammi guidelines are changed then WE as handloaders and wildcaters are the ones who are going to have to breathe new life into the "old" cartridges.

25 caliber doesn't seem to be getting much love….again sandwiched between 6mm and 6.5mm. The sandwich effect is real.

Sometimes, you have to make your own love

79168D2A-D0E5-4B42-A3A6-7049E659BD40.jpeg