7mm cartridges

Could someone maybe delve into the efficiency of the different 7's? What I mean by that is the 28 Nosler is the king of speed in a 7 but it's also burning 80+ grains of powder.

I've been looking at the 7 SAUM/7 Max in a long action to shoot 180+ type bullets to be shot in the realm of 2900+.

Obviously the 28 Nosler can accomplish that but you're also burning an extra 20gr of powder.

7mm Allen mag is the king of speed, I'm shooting 195gr bergers at 3300 with no pressure signs

I have a 10# 7wsm that shoots 180 ELDm 3020 FPS for about 1/3 MOA on a bad day. Krieger barrel sako action mcmillan stock vx6 hd glass. I've killed deer past 900 yards with this set up. Quite a ways past. Anything 280ai to 7rum will meet what you describe. I would lean towards a straight 284 284 sheyhane, or a 7wsm personally. I really dig the short action 7s in that area. I also have a 7RUM and it's a fire breathing monster. Top fuel drag car performance with pretty rough barrel life. But hey barrels are part of the game. If you don't mind a new tune every year it's a really fun gun.

I have 2 7mmRM. Love them both. A Rem Sendero that I have lugged around for about 5 years. Shoots lights out, but tired of taking it for 10 miles walks. The other is new this year Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon. They are both great, but the Browning has a New BX-5hd that I am really liking with the firedot reticle. .
The Xbolt is really light. I was able to adjust the factory trigger down to 2.9 lbs which is perfect for hunting.

I got lucky that the same load I use in the Sendero also works in the X bolt and is very accurate. I am shooting 1.75"geouos at 200 yards. The gun is probably more accurate than that, but I haven't figured out how to shoot the lightweight gun yet. I am used to the boat anchor Remington. Lol.

My load is 160gr Nosler AB with IMR 4831. Cant remember the grain of powder off the tip of my head though. Fed 215 primers. I use all Nosler brass. Thick walled and super consistent.

Good luck and have fun.
Yes sir I know what ya mean. I have a 7Mag Sendero myself. I thank I'm just used to the weight. When I get into my prime golden years lol I'll drop down to a 7-08 with 20" barrel myself. That or I'll just re-barrel my 260 Rem into a 260 Terminator with a 20" Barrel. Dang it. You got me thankin about a new build. LoL

Attachments

• 4F14277A-E6E8-4FDA-9B6B-2C85B8DE7458.jpeg
    4F14277A-E6E8-4FDA-9B6B-2C85B8DE7458.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
Looking to get a long range rifle in 7mm caliber. Something less than 10 pounds with scope.
What 7mm cartridge is most accurate to 1000 yards? I most likely will hunting less than 700 yards.

The 7mm Rem Mag was used at Camp Perry in the 1000 yd shoots for a while. Most shooters would burn their barrels at 700-1000 rounds. I feel most 7s in the "magnum" category would do the same.

I know for a fact that there are tons of rifles that weigh less than 10 lbs with scope to choose from without having to spend gobs of money on a custom gun. I would choose something from Howa heavy barrel, Winchester, Browning, etc.

My 7 Rem mag is getting 2992 with the 180 Berger Hybrid. That gives me 2,222 FPS and 1974 ft/lbs at your 700 yard limit. I think that would work for elk. Having said that, I have my 338 for elk because I believe in using more gun. To each their own
Yes sir. The gentleman was asking for a easy pack rifle in the 7mm family. I don't know if he has a disability or just tired of toting that 7 Mag Sendero he has do to weight. I've dropped a cow elk just shy of 1000 yards with my 260 Rem and 140 grain Berger bullets. It still retained around 1100 ft-lbs of kinetic energy and over 1800 FPS. I was in Colorado at 6,000 ft plus above sea level. I take my 7 Mag Sendero as back up just In case something happens.

man this is a no brainer there is only one 7mm for long range the 7mm Remington magnum. the stw is no better and too long for the results the 280AI a great round but not enough gas in the tank.
yes belted magnums are accurate.

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    862.8 KB · Views: 122
So here is the decision guide:
  1. Do you hand-load or use factory ammunition?
  2. Deer (1,800 fps & 1,000 ft./lbs.) or Elk (1800 fps. & 1,500 ft./lbs. these numbers should be your on target not muzzle velocity)?
  3. Hunting only gun or a regular shooting gun as well?
  4. Most important: What is your budget?
I am a 7mm junkie and I hand-load so I have both a 280 AI and 28 Nosler. I have taken some nice Elk with both at decent ranges of 422 yards and 383 yards. Both animals dropped in 1 shot. Respectively with the 28 Nosler I would not feel comfortable beyond 800 yards and the 280 AI 650 yards on Elk but would prefer to shoot closer to compensate for my shooting abilities or possible weaknesses in.

I hope this helps!

Begara B-14's and Tikka T3s are pretty good
Scope either a Night Force 4-14X50mm F1 (on my 28 Nosler) or a Vortex Razor LHT 3-15X42 (going on my kids rifle)
I'm considering a 28, what bullet are you using?

I'm shooting a custom 7mm Remington Magnum with a 1-7.75 twist rate that handles the highest BC bullets available. It weighs 9lbs13oz and I would not turn down a shot at an elk at 1000 yards if conditions were favorable. I have taken 7 elk with it since I received it and, in a pinch I can get ammo almost anywhere, including Russia. Have a 3 X15 scope on it that is included in the weight.
I think every 7mm that has been discussed in this column is a very good choice for the reasons described. Good luck with your purchase but, find one with a barrel twist lower than 1-9.5, preferably in the high 7's or 8's

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts