Cartridge Base walks in Shellholder when seating

I'm wondering if the shell holder you're using is really the correct one for .308-sized case heads. There are several shell holders that will accept a .308-sized case head but are not really for them. IIRC, Swedish Mauser case heads are similar but have a thicker rim, but a .308 sized case head would fit in and wobble around a little. Some rimmed cartridges are also close enough that your case would slide in but not be held firmly.

All of which tells us the people who manufacture reloading equipment would be doing us a favor by standardizing the nomenclature and numbering of their equipment. But then we might interchange products instead of buying only their brand.

All of which will be mooted when you receive your new (and correct) shell holder.

I use Lee shell holders on a Hornady press and haven't noticed any issues. But I seat the bullet, then spin the case a half a turn in the shell holder and seat it again.

Wait - it walks while you're driving the ram up *before* you even reach the seater?
Do you feel it vibrate at all, or when the ram is up (no cartridge), can you move the tip where the shell holder should sit from side to side, or wobble it?
No, it walks after the bullet starts seating. It's a new press.

I'm wondering if the shell holder you're using is really the correct one for .308-sized case heads. There are several shell holders that will accept a .308-sized case head but are not really for them. IIRC, Swedish Mauser case heads are similar but have a thicker rim, but a .308 sized case head would fit in and wobble around a little. Some rimmed cartridges are also close enough that your case would slide in but not be held firmly.

All of which tells us the people who manufacture reloading equipment would be doing us a favor by standardizing the nomenclature and numbering of their equipment. But then we might interchange products instead of buying only their brand.

All of which will be mooted when you receive your new (and correct) shell holder.
I'm using a Lee #2, which should be the same as an RCBS #3.

May sound crazy but I had a similar issues on an old Rockchucker. Make sure the shell holder isn't moving and is snug. I added a small piece of painters tape on top of the ram so when the shell holder is inserted it is a very snug and tight fit.

May sound crazy but I had a similar issues on an old Rockchucker. Make sure the shell holder isn't moving and is snug. I added a small piece of painters tape on top of the ram so when the shell holder is inserted it is a very snug and tight fit.
I'll double check the shellholder is not moving. Thanks.

Could also be the brass.I know when I first got my 300WSM,I bought some range fired brass.The Remington brass would fit in a RCBS #4 shellholder,The Winchester brass wouldn't.I had to buy a #43 for that.

I'm using a Forster seating die in my RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme with a Lee shellholder. Sometimes the base of the cartridge will walk out of vertical position when I'm seating. I haven't measured the runout, but it can't be good. I don't think there is anything wrong with using Lee shellholders. Wonder what I'm doing wrong or if anyone has had this problem?
I use Lacmiller dies when I use certain calibers like 300 win mag and 300 wby with rcbs and Lee shell holders with no problems.

Thanks for your input. I don't think the shell holder is moving. The cartridge base is sliding partially out of the shell holder. I went with the Lee shell holder set since it was very affordable compared to the RCBS. I've ordered the RCBS shell holder and I should have it in a couple weeks. I'll do the measurements you recommend. The press only does this on about 1 in 10 cases. I'm busy holding the bullet in place and pulling the handle, or I would hold the base in place.
DrSteve, Have you verified if the case is held vertically in two axis or if there is any visible cant?
BB

Reading about that issue, the advice I got was to ensure the die and shellholder is from the same manufacturer. With my Forster mcirometer seating die, , I have not had that problem with Hornady shell holder. I did experience a bit of your same issue a Lee shellholder.

You mention that you use the same shell holder for other chambering's. Do the cases still walk around when loading with different dies? You should be able to screw another seater die in, and put a loaded round for those dies and watch it..

I would not worry about it at all unless you have bad runout. You really don't want your case head held tight to one spot. That little bit of play let's your case center up on your die. I actually take the metal clip off my ram and put an o ring on it to hold the shell holder. This lets it have more movement to let the cartridge align better. If your runout is good leave it be. Can't fix what ain't broke.
shep

I thought this was odd so I went and looked at mine. My brass is completely incased inside the seating die and the die lower plunger is touching the shell holder before the seater even starts to push the bullet into the case.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.