Carbon remover to clean brass

Bottom line, in my opinion you have two choices, Dillon carbide .308 dies or wet tumbling. And wet tumbling works for any caliber with standard dies and cost less. :)
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/LEFT][/QUOTE]

I'm slightly confused. I assume you'd use a carbide sizing die because it won't wear out if you brass isn't clean. Am I correct?

I'd get the wet tumbler w/SS pins, but normally my brass never gets so dirty that a dilute citric acid won't clean it very well. My 48 y/o Thumler Tumbler simply puts a high polish to my brass. The "NEVR DULL" easily & quickly took care of my other problem. with the tarnished necks & going back to using Wipe-Out for bore cleaning may have solved the tarnish I was getting in the necks. At 76 y/o I can't justify the cost for the wet tumbling since I have more time than most to get done what I want. There are some advantages to being an old fart.
I never have the need to size anything other than the neck of my brass. It isn't needed with w "tight-necked" chamber. I use a Forster bump neck bushing die for that. I never have a need to expand the necks anymore
If it weren't for these things & my age I would buy a wet tumbler & seriously consider the wet tumbling a & a few other things I've read on this website.
A lot of positive input comes from this website.

Bottom line, in my opinion you have two choices, Dillon carbide .308 dies or wet tumbling. And wet tumbling works for any caliber with standard dies and cost less. :)

I'm slightly confused. I assume you'd use a carbide sizing die because it won't wear out if you brass isn't clean. Am I correct?

Dirt and grit will not scratch a carbide die "BUT" a Dillon .308 carbide die can cost as much as a wet tumbler. So a wet tumbler is cheaper because you can tumble any caliber case and scrub off any dirt and grit that can scratch a regular sizing die.

I always preferred revolvers and bolt actions but my two sons talked dad into getting modern and buying semi-autos. And the semi-autos with the brass hitting the ground led to scratched dies and buying a wet tumbler with stainless steel media to "scrub" the brass free of dirt and grit.

Running a new AR-10 with a suppressor. Got gas adjusted just enough to cycle well. Brass comes out very dirty. Tumbling helps but lots of carbon on brass. Got the idea to use some boretech eliminator-carbon remover. Worked like a charm, the black residue just wiped off the fired brass with my wife's hand towels :)

Am I making a mistake by wiping brass with carbon remover or any unintended consequences?

Thanks
i may have missed it in this thread but i was strolin thru boretechs page and saw there new brass cleaner, im gunna have to try that :)

a wet tumbler with stainless steel media to "scrub" the brass free of dirt and grit.

I have always wondered if the shot style tumblers had any effect on the brasses surface from peening. may not hit it hard enough to alter the surface but I have wondered. we have surfaces peened all the time to reduce wear and stress relieve

I've used a chrome polish before and it cleans them right up. I used a 1/2" power drill to chuck up the case and spin with the polish on a rag. 1 sec and it's super shiny. Only did it once on some old cases. Figured it was too much work to do every time I fired a case. The ultrasonic cleaner does a good job.

Put them in a.plastic zip lock at.the range. Spray them liberally with ballistol. When you get home.the.carbon will just.wipe right off

Let it.get hard.and you have.to tumble for a couple of hours

Got away from ultrasonic and wet tumbling cause it cleans.the.necks up too good. Need that carbon in the neck

I've heard & read that before. However factory ammunition or new brass has no carbon in the neck. I'm not suggesting you're wrong since I can't recall noticing any difference in resistance when seating bullets in new brass. I usually notice anything that's different. It's a quirk that comes with an extreme A.D.H.D. condition. Maybe I need to pay more attention next time.
Thanks!
I'm gonna buy some Ballistol anyway so I can clean the inside of a few case necks & compare it to cases that haven't had the inside of the case necks cleaned of carbon. I don't trust my memory... Another A.D.H.D. quirk. :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.