Canted Necks

Berry228

I know that my problem with my excessive case neck runout is probably my reloading procedure. But, If the problem did lie in the chamber, Would the runout on all of the fire formed brass be the same?

Also, 8/10 shots through my rifle get stuck and won't extract. After I hit the case out with a cleaning rod, I inspect the case and I don't see any pressure signs. If the chamber isn't straight in the rifle, Would it cause the cases to get stuck? My rifle is a .338 Edge shooting 300grn Berger OTMS over 102.3 grns of RL33 at 2880fps. I figured that maybe back off the charge. The cases kept getting stuck all the way down to 97.5 grns at 2600fps.

Fired brass coming out of the chamber should have straight necks. If not, you need to see a smith. Have it scoped. And do a cerro cast.

My guess is that you need a small base sizing die. Are there scuff marks just above the rim?

After firing, a case should go in the chamber rotated anyway, If it doesn't, the chamber is not true.

The loading dies and process can have an effect on the concentricity of the cases also.

You may also try backing the bullet off the lands a little more.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM

I went to the range today and when I came home I checked the concentricity of the necks. all of them measured less than .001. Needless to say i'm relieved that it's not the chamber. I've narrowed the problem down to the reloading process and began investigating. I finally figured out that the problem was the Hornady shell holder. Actually, after I started using the RCBS shell holder the die would also straighten the canted necks. Thank you everyone for your help.

OK, I have to know. What was the difference between your shell holders? Or were you using the wrong shell holder for the case? I use different brands of shell holders and once I adjust a set of dies for a particular rifle I put that shell holder in the case with that specific die set.

I went to the range today and when I came home I checked the concentricity of the necks. all of them measured less than .001. Needless to say i'm relieved that it's not the chamber. I've narrowed the problem down to the reloading process and began investigating. I finally figured out that the problem was the Hornady shell holder. Actually, after I started using the RCBS shell holder the die would also straighten the canted necks. Thank you everyone for your help.

An Old trick a master gunsmith taught me to get perfect alignment is to remove the spring that holds the shell holder in place, allowing the shell holder to align it's self better if needed.

J E CUSTOM

OK, I have to know. What was the difference between your shell holders? Or were you using the wrong shell holder for the case? I use different brands of shell holders and once I adjust a set of dies for a particular rifle I put that shell holder in the case with that specific die set.

To answer your question truthfully......I have no clue. :D It just seemed to fix the problem. I'm guessing that the shell holder just isn't aligning properly while pushing the case into the die.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.