Can't sight in gun (not enough scope adjustment)

taylorjones20

I have a Savage LRH 6.5-284 with a Meopta MeoPro scope using weaver 20moa base and weaver tactical low rings. The scope is only a 1" tube. At 100 yards it shoots 6" high and the scope is out of adjustment.

Would going to a 0 moa base get it low enough to sight in? Not really sure what other options I have except changing scopes...

Franko21

I have a Savage LRH 6.5-284 with a Meopta MeoPro scope using weaver 20moa base and weaver tactical low rings. The scope is only a 1" tube. At 100 yards it shoots 6" high and the scope is out of adjustment.

Would going to a 0 moa base get it low enough to sight in? Not really sure what other options I have except changing scopes...
Burris makes XTR signature rings that have inserts that are adjustable. This might be a solution to your issue.

Tidus56

Th
The Burris rings can give him up to 40MOA in adjustment and might be cheaper or on par with a new base.
But he is high not low. If he was low adding MOA would work but he needs to take MOA away to get low enough for a 100 yard zero. If I am understanding his issue correctly that is.

taylorjones20

Tidus, that is correct. I guess I will look at getting a 0 moa base and hope that it brings it down enough.

cohunt

Th
The Burris rings can give him up to 40MOA in adjustment and might be cheaper or on par with a new base.
burris rings come in 5 degree off sets-- so since he is 6" high at 100 he would need 10 degrees of adjustemenet in the rings-- ring set costs about $90-- egw used to make a 10 moa base for a savage for $40 --I'd call egw to see if they still have any

djm670

burris rings come in 5 degree off sets-- so since he is 6" high at 100 he would need 10 degrees of adjustemenet in the rings-- ring set costs about $90-- egw used to make a 10 moa base for a savage for $40 --I'd call egw to see if they still have any
But if one does that, his scope will be bottomed out at zero. I would think he would want to be part way into the middle of the scopes travel? I guess it would depend on how far he wants to shoot. I am a fan of the Burris Signature rings and inserts. Can get just about any angle you want with them.

Tank308

10 moa base should get you to about 4" low at 100.

CaptDru

I have some 1" XTR rings that I can sell you for $65 shipped. The are practically brand new, with all the inserts. Let me know if you are interested.

nmbarta

0 moa base will get you there, as mentioned a 10 moa would give you more room in your elevation turret to go up, giving you a farther range that you could dial to. Get the right base, it doesn't sense to have a 20 moa base and then take it out with rings, not that it wouldn't work, but seems silly. A bit like lifting your truck and then putting smaller tires on to get you back to stock hieght.

ShtrRdy

Does that scope have a zero stop? If so it might be blocking some of the "down" adjustment.

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce