Can't sight in gun (not enough scope adjustment)

taylorjones20

I have a Savage LRH 6.5-284 with a Meopta MeoPro scope using weaver 20moa base and weaver tactical low rings. The scope is only a 1" tube. At 100 yards it shoots 6" high and the scope is out of adjustment.

Would going to a 0 moa base get it low enough to sight in? Not really sure what other options I have except changing scopes...

I have a Savage LRH 6.5-284 with a Meopta MeoPro scope using weaver 20moa base and weaver tactical low rings. The scope is only a 1" tube. At 100 yards it shoots 6" high and the scope is out of adjustment.

Would going to a 0 moa base get it low enough to sight in? Not really sure what other options I have except changing scopes...
Burris makes XTR signature rings that have inserts that are adjustable. This might be a solution to your issue.

Th
The Burris rings can give him up to 40MOA in adjustment and might be cheaper or on par with a new base.
But he is high not low. If he was low adding MOA would work but he needs to take MOA away to get low enough for a 100 yard zero. If I am understanding his issue correctly that is.

Tidus, that is correct. I guess I will look at getting a 0 moa base and hope that it brings it down enough.

Th
The Burris rings can give him up to 40MOA in adjustment and might be cheaper or on par with a new base.
burris rings come in 5 degree off sets-- so since he is 6" high at 100 he would need 10 degrees of adjustemenet in the rings-- ring set costs about $90-- egw used to make a 10 moa base for a savage for $40 --I'd call egw to see if they still have any

burris rings come in 5 degree off sets-- so since he is 6" high at 100 he would need 10 degrees of adjustemenet in the rings-- ring set costs about $90-- egw used to make a 10 moa base for a savage for $40 --I'd call egw to see if they still have any

But if one does that, his scope will be bottomed out at zero. I would think he would want to be part way into the middle of the scopes travel? I guess it would depend on how far he wants to shoot. I am a fan of the Burris Signature rings and inserts. Can get just about any angle you want with them.

10 moa base should get you to about 4" low at 100.

I have some 1" XTR rings that I can sell you for $65 shipped. The are practically brand new, with all the inserts. Let me know if you are interested.

0 moa base will get you there, as mentioned a 10 moa would give you more room in your elevation turret to go up, giving you a farther range that you could dial to. Get the right base, it doesn't sense to have a 20 moa base and then take it out with rings, not that it wouldn't work, but seems silly. A bit like lifting your truck and then putting smaller tires on to get you back to stock hieght.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.