can't miss 7 rem mag load?

So I'm now on my 2nd 7 rem mag rifle----I thought the 1st one (a Remington) just had a bad barrel as it would copper foul really easily. I tried 3 different bullets, 3 different powders, seating depths, 2 different brass manu's etc--I could get a good load but then it wouldn't repeat next range trip

I sold that rifle and just bought an x-bolt LR-- with the new x-bolt I tried shooting 4 different kinds of factory ammo, printed a .87" group with the barnes LRX and a .93" with the 175 fusion, a 1.06 with the 140 trophy bonded and a 3" with the eldx the first time out-- went back to range and the fusions printed 1.8", the trophy bonded printed 1.38, and the lrx printed 1.12, but the eldx was better at 1.25"

with handloads this time--tried both the 162 eldx and 165 GC 69,69.5,70,70.5 of H1000 .020" off lands and nothing was stellar--looks like the 69.0gr loads might show some promise but nothing great (.002 neck tension) cci magnum primers--I'll probably re-try this powder charge with a length ladder next

I handload for all my other calibers and have been able to find 1/2- 3/4 moa loads in my other rifles (223, 6.8spc, 300bo, 270w, 308, 30-06) fairly easily--am I missing something with the 7 rem mag?

I've pretty much tried everything with the old 7 rem mag--using norma brass, necks are "cleaned up" to get consistent neck thickness--I have tried FL sizing, neck sized, bushing sized--annealed, you name it

I'm starting to doubt both myself and my handloading abilities--but If I pick up one of my other rifles I can still print that 1/2-3/4 moa group no problem with my handloads

Is there a "can't miss" load I can try with my 7 rem mag to see if I'm just choosing the wrong components?

I have RE22, RE23, and H1000 powder on hand, I have cci LR, LR magnum and Bench rest primers (been using the magnum primers)--I have Norma brass and PPU brass (PPU holds less powder, and is less consistent in weight than the norma), I have 162 eldx, 165 gamechanger, and 175 eldx (175's might be marginal on stability with my 9.5 twist) and I can easily pick up some 168 vld's hunting at the local store to try also.

I thought maybe I was flinching on recoil so I had a buddy watch and I'm not flinching but occasionally I am jerking the trigger (which would account for some of the flyers)-- I'm following through with trigger pull, keeping a good sight picture, tried multiple scopes to make sure its not a scope or mount issue, I have a good recoil pad, I've tried the factory x-bolt radial brake, bare muzzle, and my 11" suppressor and if anything the groups are worse with the suppressor-- radial brake and bare muzzle are similar size groups

who has got a "can't miss" load I can try? preferably with brass, primers and powder I have on hand

what kind of jump are guys using for the 162 eldx bullets? I can easily hit lands with these x-bolt mags so I can try any jump

suggestions?
Besides all the bedding, scope and free floating advice people already mentioned, a muzzle brake helped me alot shooting groups with my Remington 7mm Rem Mag, factory barrel, factory stock, factory trigger.

My process:

New brass I will fireform then neck turn (one time only) deburr flash hole if needed. After this:

1) Decap, clean pockets and necks
2) Tumble
3) Anneal (every firing)
4) Lube outside case w/ sizing wax
5) Redding body size to bump shoulder .002" wipe off lube
6) Trim, chamfer, neck brush
7) Neck size .002 tension with Lee neck collet die
8) Prime
9) Seat bullet w/ Forster Micrometer seating die

My best load:

Berger 168 gr VLD Hunting, Remington brass, CCi 200, 70.2 gr H1000, seated .040" off lands.
Group size .35"

Same process with Hornady ELD-X 162 gr
Group size 2.5"-3" I would say best load but really there was no best load.

Don't get stuck with .20" off the lands. With the Bergers, my rifle shot 1"+ at .020" and much better at .030"- .040" off.

Let us know how the Bergers do? Good luck.

7RM can be finicky. I've had three of them. I couldn't get any of mine to shoot the hornady bullets.

My load that shoots (3 shots) under 1/2 moa (sometimes under 1/4) at 1000 yds is:
Norma Brass -FL sized with shoulder bumped .002
180 berger VLD .010 into lands
68.4 grains H 1000 (69.1 on new brass)
fed 215
.002 neck tension - 1/2 of neck sized

getting 2970 fps
barrel is proof CF 26 inch with 8.4 twist

H1000 seems to be a popular powder for the 7RM....all of mine liked it better than anything else

Maybe 7 Mags are finicky but my old (1980's) 700 ADL and Leopold VIX2 - 3.5x12, shot well with Nosler and Sierra 140-175 gr bullets over H870, IMR4895(?) and several other older powders when I was reloading during the early '90s. No trimming, FL RCBS sizer dies. Used to shoot the ex-wife's old 8"-10" stuffed animals at 400 paces with no trouble. Great for stress relief.

So I'm now on my 2nd 7 rem mag rifle----I thought the 1st one (a Remington) just had a bad barrel as it would copper foul really easily. I tried 3 different bullets, 3 different powders, seating depths, 2 different brass manu's etc--I could get a good load but then it wouldn't repeat next range trip

I sold that rifle and just bought an x-bolt LR-- with the new x-bolt I tried shooting 4 different kinds of factory ammo, printed a .87" group with the barnes LRX and a .93" with the 175 fusion, a 1.06 with the 140 trophy bonded and a 3" with the eldx the first time out-- went back to range and the fusions printed 1.8", the trophy bonded printed 1.38, and the lrx printed 1.12, but the eldx was better at 1.25"

with handloads this time--tried both the 162 eldx and 165 GC 69,69.5,70,70.5 of H1000 .020" off lands and nothing was stellar--looks like the 69.0gr loads might show some promise but nothing great (.002 neck tension) cci magnum primers--I'll probably re-try this powder charge with a length ladder next

I handload for all my other calibers and have been able to find 1/2- 3/4 moa loads in my other rifles (223, 6.8spc, 300bo, 270w, 308, 30-06) fairly easily--am I missing something with the 7 rem mag?

I've pretty much tried everything with the old 7 rem mag--using norma brass, necks are "cleaned up" to get consistent neck thickness--I have tried FL sizing, neck sized, bushing sized--annealed, you name it

I'm starting to doubt both myself and my handloading abilities--but If I pick up one of my other rifles I can still print that 1/2-3/4 moa group no problem with my handloads

Is there a "can't miss" load I can try with my 7 rem mag to see if I'm just choosing the wrong components?

I have RE22, RE23, and H1000 powder on hand, I have cci LR, LR magnum and Bench rest primers (been using the magnum primers)--I have Norma brass and PPU brass (PPU holds less powder, and is less consistent in weight than the norma), I have 162 eldx, 165 gamechanger, and 175 eldx (175's might be marginal on stability with my 9.5 twist) and I can easily pick up some 168 vld's hunting at the local store to try also.

I thought maybe I was flinching on recoil so I had a buddy watch and I'm not flinching but occasionally I am jerking the trigger (which would account for some of the flyers)-- I'm following through with trigger pull, keeping a good sight picture, tried multiple scopes to make sure its not a scope or mount issue, I have a good recoil pad, I've tried the factory x-bolt radial brake, bare muzzle, and my 11" suppressor and if anything the groups are worse with the suppressor-- radial brake and bare muzzle are similar size groups

who has got a "can't miss" load I can try? preferably with brass, primers and powder I have on hand

what kind of jump are guys using for the 162 eldx bullets? I can easily hit lands with these x-bolt mags so I can try any jump

suggestions?
I am shooting a 38 year old Browing BBR 7 mag that has shot consistently all these years. 160 Partition Noslers with 66 gr of H 1000 group at 1/2 in. I tried ELDX this year and it took 70 gr of H 1000 to group 1/2 in. I have always used whatever brass and primers that I have on hand. This rifle handles them all. My son just bought an xbolt 7 mag but we haven't had a chance to see what it will do yet, but I sure love my 2506 xbolt.

I have a G series Savage 110 in 7rm. And I love it. That rifle will eat anything except 162grn amax. I have tried 3 different powders for the amax and no joy at all.
The best accuracy believe it or not is 150grn power points cci std primer 45.0grns IMR3031 (no that is not a misprint) 40 thou off the lands. A big problem though 3031 is not a mag powder and burns HOT so I only use it in Jan/Feb.
My goto powders are 1st choice IMR7828 2nd, IMR7977 then RL 25 then RL22. The best hunting load for my rifle is federal brass (fl sized), CCI250 primer, 67.0grn IMR7828 with a nosler 150grn ETIP seated 50 thou off the lands.
I do spend a lot of time pounding paper with anything from 130 grn up to 175 grn but 140 to 154 grn is where I like to stay
Be patient and when trying different combos keep records, neck size NZ, and ask the bullet manufacturer what they recommend for from the lands seating depth

Yup, saw the fast burning powder thing work too on a 7rem of mine with 140 sierra pro hunter bullets; that rifle liked 4064. Sometimes if the load seems flaky like the O.P. has seen, a switch to a moderately fast powder will cure your ills. You'll still get plenty of speed and you will get a more consistent burn no matter the temp..
As far as sizing, I fl size my stuff. I also try a bullet with either a modest or no boat tail if I am having accuracy issues with a rifle. Some factory pipes are a bit large and flat base bullets seem to work better if that is the case.

Last edited:
I think I would try some working on some 140 abs 150 bal tips or some of the older not so aggressive stuff like the interlocks the only 140s I seen mentioned were the trophy bonded factory

I would also try the 150 Gr Nosler ballistic tips. The 3-4 7RMs I have been around all shot these extremely well ( 1/2 Moa are better) and that was factory Federal premium 150 gr NBTs

suggestions?

Save yourself a lot of time and money. The 7mmRM is the most temperamental caliber I ever met. I had one built for myself in 2000. It is a 27" heavy profile barrel. I tried all the powders and bullets and never got sub 2moa groupings. The only thing consistent was today's 1st shot and tomorrow's first shot. But the rest was a complete waist. After all the gunsmiths in town had a go at it I replaced the barrel. The new barrel was a 29" stainless steel even heavier barrel. The same story repeated itself. The results was almost the same. So everybody that knew something about gunsmithing realized that it is the action so I replaced it with a Browning action at a serious cost. The results – the same! The only item not replaced was the stock. So I replaced that as well. While the gunsmith was fitting the new stock I assembled all the old spares and got the old rifle going again with the same results as before. This took me 12 years! The end result- I now have 2 useless 7mm RM in my safe next to my 300WSM , 270WSM and the 338Win that outperforms any 7mm RM. Not in speed but in accuracy. A "fastest missing" rifle is not half as good as a "slow on the dot" instrument.

Ive been running and loading for a 7mm rem mag for the last 5 odd years and in the start i had issues getting any sort of consistency out of it. My break through was going away from h1000 which everyone recommended, and switching to retumbo. I could not get any decent consistency out of h1000, one day it would shoot great and the next it was all over the paper. My current load is 180 berger vld's, 70.3gr of retumbo, cci 250 primers in norma brass. Gives me a MV of 2976fps with almost a single figure ES every time i crony it. It easily holds 1/2 moa out to 500 plus yards consistently as long as i play my part. I also tried a lot of different projectile weights in the start too but found the heavier ones (175-180gr) in my particular rifle out shot the 150-160ish gr bullets every time. My barrel is a 1/9 twist.

yes I have tried length ladders for all the bullets I have shot

I was able to get several different bullets to try
143 HH - hit lads at 3.392"
168 berger vld hunter- hits lands at 3.436
162 eldm- hits lands at 3.418
150 ablr- hits lands at 3.429
175 elite hunter- hits lands at 3.472

the xbolt magazine allows for 3.595" so I can get all of these bullets out to the lands
going to try the 143 HH first and then check the others

would still love to hear what your "go-to"loads are for these bullets in the 7 rm so I can have a good comparison when starting my load work up

thanks all to have helped, including Alex for the bullets

suggestions?

I have had 3 different M700 7 mm rem mags. They all shot factory federal ammo loaded with nosler ballistic tips (150 gr) very well. Two of these rifles were factory M700s. My current rifle is a custom / semi custom and has shot the 150 gr ballistic tips in factory loads and handloads very well and my current bullet is the 160 grain nosler accubond. The ballistic tips and accubonds are pretty forgiving on seating depth too, at least that has been my experience. Currently, I am .015" from the lands with the 160 grain accubonds and I am using IMR 7828 pushing them just a bit over 3100 fps, so a fairly hot load.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.