7 Rem Mag loads

SoDaksniper

I have an old (1967) era Hornady handloading book that describes a load that will run 139 grain spire point bullets out at 3,400 fps. As i look at current load data accross the spectrum, I do not find any such load suggesting velocities at this rate......
Am I missing something here?

no you are not. In the 60's powder differed as today lot to lot powder can differ. Not to mention liability (law suits), the powder charges has come down. In reality you should keep current data and follow it. Everything changes keep up to date and stay safe

Friend of mine has a Rem 700 7mm mag and I don't care who you are he will not change from his 140GN Accubond. I've seen just how accurate that thing is. And DRT on many occasions.

Reloading data nowadays is printed for the lawyers. No where near what I have found in every rifle I have loaded for as far as "Max" loads. Sometimes as much as 5-6 grains low. Sometimes as little as 1 grain low. So they are playing safe on all fronts. Good practice to keep them safe. But only YOUR Rifle can tell you what your "max" is.

The Powder was 4831, and I think the load was right at71 grs....the new load with the same powder shows 65+- grs. Seems like they did back off a bit on the suggested load. I have to think that chrono technology and pressure assessment back then were more rudimentary than then are now. Perhaps if you had your nose left on your face is was an acceptable load.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.