can't miss 7 rem mag load?

I have a G series Savage 110 in 7rm. And I love it. That rifle will eat anything except 162grn amax. I have tried 3 different powders for the amax and no joy at all.
The best accuracy believe it or not is 150grn power points cci std primer 45.0grns IMR3031 (no that is not a misprint) 40 thou off the lands. A big problem though 3031 is not a mag powder and burns HOT so I only use it in Jan/Feb.
My goto powders are 1st choice IMR7828 2nd, IMR7977 then RL 25 then RL22. The best hunting load for my rifle is federal brass (fl sized), CCI250 primer, 67.0grn IMR7828 with a nosler 150grn ETIP seated 50 thou off the lands.
I do spend a lot of time pounding paper with anything from 130 grn up to 175 grn but 140 to 154 grn is where I like to stay
Be patient and when trying different combos keep records, neck size NZ, and ask the bullet manufacturer what they recommend for from the lands seating depth

Winchester brass for both

69.7gr H1000 168 Berger VLD CCI 250 .010 Jump
71.5gr Retumbo 168 Berger VLD CCI 250 .010 Jump

If you can't get something at the lands with H1000 and a 168VLD to work somewhat consistently then I would start to worry. I've had it do the trick many times on different guns.

Winchester brass for both

69.7gr H1000 168 Berger VLD CCI 250 .010 Jump
71.5gr Retumbo 168 Berger VLD CCI 250 .010 Jump

If you can't get something at the lands with H1000 and a 168VLD to work somewhat consistently then I would start to worry. I've had it do the trick many times on different guns.
thanks--- I'm going to be able to work out a deal for about 20 of each of 168 vld's, 150 ablr, 162 eldm, and 143hh , and 175 elite h bullets to try out

if anyone has a suggested load for any of the above 5 bullets post it up or PM me so I can give a few more bullets a try and see if I can figure this thing out

Last edited:
That gun should shoot an inch or better. I would at least alert Browning. They will probably have you send the gun back to look at.

They are making great strides with these new long range X-Bolts and will not want any "unhappy" customers posting negatives.

My buddies 6.5 Creed Xbolt Long Range shoots .75 with factory Hornady ammo.

I'm shooting a Hells Canyon with same twist. Hornady nor Berger would group. 160 grain Accubonds with 70 grain H1000 and .020 off lands is excellent in mine. .5 to.75 Moa. Shoots best in clean barrel. Have to clean after 35 to 40 rounds.

So I'm now on my 2nd 7 rem mag rifle----I thought the 1st one (a Remington) just had a bad barrel as it would copper foul really easily. I tried 3 different bullets, 3 different powders, seating depths, 2 different brass manu's etc--I could get a good load but then it wouldn't repeat next range trip

I sold that rifle and just bought an x-bolt LR-- with the new x-bolt I tried shooting 4 different kinds of factory ammo, printed a .87" group with the barnes LRX and a .93" with the 175 fusion, a 1.06 with the 140 trophy bonded and a 3" with the eldx the first time out-- went back to range and the fusions printed 1.8", the trophy bonded printed 1.38, and the lrx printed 1.12, but the eldx was better at 1.25"

with handloads this time--tried both the 162 eldx and 165 GC 69,69.5,70,70.5 of H1000 .020" off lands and nothing was stellar--looks like the 69.0gr loads might show some promise but nothing great (.002 neck tension) cci magnum primers--I'll probably re-try this powder charge with a length ladder next

I handload for all my other calibers and have been able to find 1/2- 3/4 moa loads in my other rifles (223, 6.8spc, 300bo, 270w, 308, 30-06) fairly easily--am I missing something with the 7 rem mag?

I've pretty much tried everything with the old 7 rem mag--using norma brass, necks are "cleaned up" to get consistent neck thickness--I have tried FL sizing, neck sized, bushing sized--annealed, you name it

I'm starting to doubt both myself and my handloading abilities--but If I pick up one of my other rifles I can still print that 1/2-3/4 moa group no problem with my handloads

Is there a "can't miss" load I can try with my 7 rem mag to see if I'm just choosing the wrong components?

I have RE22, RE23, and H1000 powder on hand, I have cci LR, LR magnum and Bench rest primers (been using the magnum primers)--I have Norma brass and PPU brass (PPU holds less powder, and is less consistent in weight than the norma), I have 162 eldx, 165 gamechanger, and 175 eldx (175's might be marginal on stability with my 9.5 twist) and I can easily pick up some 168 vld's hunting at the local store to try also.

I thought maybe I was flinching on recoil so I had a buddy watch and I'm not flinching but occasionally I am jerking the trigger (which would account for some of the flyers)-- I'm following through with trigger pull, keeping a good sight picture, tried multiple scopes to make sure its not a scope or mount issue, I have a good recoil pad, I've tried the factory x-bolt radial brake, bare muzzle, and my 11" suppressor and if anything the groups are worse with the suppressor-- radial brake and bare muzzle are similar size groups

who has got a "can't miss" load I can try? preferably with brass, primers and powder I have on hand

what kind of jump are guys using for the 162 eldx bullets? I can easily hit lands with these x-bolt mags so I can try any jump

suggestions?
I don't load 7mag but my .280 really likes the 165 Gamechangers and 4831 powder... just took my first buck with it this week. 330yds... dirt!

Cohunt

There is a great read by Nathan Foster called The Practical guide to reloading.

There is more good info on things no one has talked about so far. Also Nathan is into the 7RM and has written a few articles that might help you out.

Like you I have two 7RM. They both took sometime, but in the end it was worth it.

Good luck

thanks---I think I'm going to be able to work out a deal for about 20 of each of 168 vld's, 150 ablr, 162 eldm, and 143 HH bullets to try out

if anyone has a suggested load for any of the above 4 bullets post it up or PM me so I can give a few more bullets a try and see if I can figure this thing out

I have a Rem700 that is finicky with a 1:9.25 twist factory barrel.
I shoot the Berger 168 VLD Hunting bullets at .090 off for the best reliable performance.
I use H4831SC 64.7 gr., Fed 215M primers, Nosler brass, necksized only. 2835 FPS. It consistently shoots 1/2 moa groups after 2 foulers. Brass lasts a long time.
No Barnes bullets will work as they are wildly unstable (keyholes), and just about any other lead core bullet is not satisfactory on groups compared to this Berger load.
This is my backup gun now but is a joy to shoot it. It has elk, antelope and deer honors but I built a custom 7mm to be my primary rifle.
Good luck.

162 amax 64grns H4831 215 in Win brass 2875 bughole accurate in a 9.5tw 700.
same bullet 70 Retumbo 2950 best es this rifle has shown will shoot better than most people can.
Ran a ladder with168vld/ RL 26 north of 3150fps before pressure. Hope the node shown on target will shoot at 3100ish Berger 168vld win brass 9 1/2 m primer .020 off.
The shop load for berger 180's is H4831 64 grains .020 of the lands. (work up in your gun)
I can run the 168 the same way in multiple guns and they have all been able to shoot sub moa. It is not as fast as RL22 or the retumbo rl26 powders. In this case it is more sensitive to temps than the retumbo has been also.

thanks---I think I'm going to be able to work out a deal for about 20 of each of 168 vld's, 150 ablr, 162 eldm, and 143 HH bullets to try out

if anyone has a suggested load for any of the above 4 bullets post it up or PM me so I can give a few more bullets a try and see if I can figure this thing out

I have a factory barreled Rem 7 mag and have had good success with both, eldm and eldx 162 gn. Load is far from "hot" but consistent. Developed the load for a long distance course a couple years ago here in Montana and on last day, cold barreled, after 1 shot, adjusting 1/2 MOA elevation and 1/4 MOA for conflicting 10-12mph crosswinds, shot a 5 shot 7" group @ 1760yds (1 mile). Instructor said humorously "huh, I guess skinny barrels CAN shoot". Only mods were a Timney trigger I set to 1 7/8 lbs and I bedded the action myself in the factory stock, oh and a claw extractor installed and lugs lapped (by my local smithy).

Best load for the 162m: Match prepped and neck turned (for consistency) Hornady brass FLS, trimmed to 2.495" and loaded w/ 63.7 grains of reloader 26, 162 gn eldm seated to 2.733" COAL @ ogive w/ comparator in front of a WLRM primer. Have taken 5 elk, numerous mulies, whiteys and antelope with the Hornady 162 gn, first in SST then followed by the eldx. Gun likes that pill size. Have tried everything from 110 gn to 139 gn to 154 gn across several mfgrs without great success. I will admit, I'm a bit of a hornady fan. And for the hornady brass naysayers, I'm on my 6th reload of the 300 rounds of match prepped Hornady brass, no annealing and no negative signs yet. True, the loads are not pushing the envelope at all, but a year ago, when I discovered a scale malfunction (I now double electronically weigh each load to the .ooogn) that caused some hot loads resulting in having to pound open the bolt with a wood block. Still, no deformed or damaged cases or negative receiver issues, thank the Lord! Sorry for rambling on - hope something here helps you!

Currently in midst of ladder testing a 175gn w/ both ELD M and Barnes TSX. Best so far: eldx- .744" 5 shot group @ 100yds w/ 64.0 gns of reloader 26. H1000 next.

Oh btw, have since upgraded my stock to a Grayboe Terrain and absolutely love it! Light, naturally points, great balance and tremendously reduced felt recoil. Not a sales pitch, just love it! Good luck!

By any means I am not claiming to be an expert but when I am reloading for first time for any of my guns I am always trying to find optimum for that gun by changing just one component and trying different variations. Currently I am reloading for two 7mm RM guns, and while Thompson Encore likes one particular load, Remington like something else. With all my rifles I am using CCI Benchrest primers, even though on magnum loads CCI magnums makes only slight difference. However when it comes to the powders I found interesting thing about 7mmRM. It makes fine with H1000 or Retumbo, but for whatever reason far best is the only powder which is IMR 7828SSC. If we talk about standard precision of 1 MOA for anything else with this particular powder you can narrow it to 0.5 MOA. Go figure.

My 7 mag is a semi custom. Sako action, Mcgowen barrel. I call it the dirty little slut because it hasn't found a bullet it won't shoot well. I would pick one bullet and try different powders at one seating depth. Make sure your scale is accurate. I found pretty quick that my rifle liked the medium burn powders like RE 22 and IMR 4350 versus the slower powders with bullets in the 140-160 gr range. I have found Noslers data to provide the most appropriate powders for different bullet weights. I typically do a one shot ladder to find max and look for a node. Then go from there. Also, try some 140-150 grain bullets. I've seen some rifles that dont like the heavier or longer bearing surface bullets. The 150 gr ballistic tip and Imr 4350 shoots really well for me using Nosler data. CCI 250 primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts