can't miss 7 rem mag load?

I've loaded for several 7mm RM over the past 15 years, and every one would shoot the 160 Accubond with 66gr RL22 at SAAMI 3.340" at an inch or less.

That being said, my current is a 9twist, and shoots 180 class bullets close to the lands very well with H1000 and 150 class with H4831, not the SC, for better case fill.

150 GN bullet Imr 4831 R/P case F215 mag primer 0.20 off lands ,140& 150 ttsx RL/22,w/w case f215 or cci250 ,both 0.50 off lands . Yes it can be finicky but it's still a Very Good Cartridge !

Really hate that you are going through this but hopefully you'll find a winner load. The 7RM is a great cartridge as a lot of people here have and can attest too with their "unicorn" loads. To all the new guys that chimed in, thanks and welcome to Long Range Hunting.
My first 7RM was in the 1st generation Sendero and man that rifle had what everyone needs. My load at that time (98-99?)was 150gn Ballistic Tips, 67gn of RL22 w/CCI BR2 primers, .010" off. I did not have a chronograph at that time so I have no idea what the velocity was, but it stacked bullets on top of each other! It was a true one-holer at 100yds and at 500yds, water filled, 20oz Diet Mt. Dew bottles were easily vaporized. That rifle/load gave me a "go-to" reputation in this area as the guy who could shoot and a lot of deer rifles came my way to sight in and work up loads for. Needless to say I got a lot of time in behind a lot of different rifles/scopes.
Like most good things in life, that rifle came to an end too. The factory barrel starting going South around 1300 rounds. It still shot .5" with a few .25" in there but started getting "unexplainable" (to me) flyers. It was shredding cleaning patches and took hours to get the copper out due to heat cracks.
I traded it for a Rem 700P with boot and I just knew this was the "tack-te-Kool" rifle from heaven and it was going to shoot those 168gn Berger VLD's into one hole. Well, it didn't, but I tried and I tried. After what seemed like an exhaustive, fruitless, humbling search I almost gave up on the rifle all together. I figured what the heck and decided to try those RL22 loads, nope didn't work. Another let down. Then I slipped a full load of IMR4350 behind those Ballistic Tips lit by Rem9.5M and BAM! There it was. According to my journal; .235" to .430" for several 5 shot groups. I shot it for a while, kilt a lot of critters with a 350-400lb black bear at 15 close steps. That Ballistic Tip killed that bear so fast. He absorbed all the energy that 7 Mag had and it turned him off like the proverbial light switch. I was amazed and relieved.
Fast forward to now. One of my son's own's that rifle now but it currently sets in my cabinet. A couple of months ago I decided to try the same rifle (that would not shoot the 168 Bergers) with some 169.5gn Wildcats I had pulled from 7RUM loads a fellow gave me, RL26 and BR2's. I was impressed with the results. It's not the fastest load I've had or heard of in a 7Mag (3062fps avg.), nor the most accurate (.6770") but it is consistent and it let me know I didn't know this rifle (or as much in general) as I thought I did.
I know I'm long winded and this doesn't help your actual load development but maybe it can encourage you somewhat. Good luck and keep us all informed as to how the "Green 7 Mile" is going. :) johnnyk.

as the last poster kinda implied.....you might not know what you think you know. I bought a cheap action donor rifle (Remi 700) for some super kool tacti-build I had in my head. For giggles I decided to shoot it to see what it can do. Well, id did awesome for being a piece of crap. By piece of crap I mean, it took me all day with butches bore shine to get the copper out of the barrel. 2 shots out of it will land you the same amount of work to strip the copper again.....the barrel is beyond rough. By piece of crap I mean the action is so out of spec, the bolt face only makes contact with one half the case. Half that bolt face has virgin blueing. But......it shoots awesome for now with H1000 and 162 gr Hornady SSTs and Wolf primers. Its seated way out to get near the lands. FYI, this rifle likes to have about 6 rounds worth of fowling to be happy. Some rifles like it clean, some like it dirty. This one really likes it dirty. once I whip that barrel out its going to Hart for a new one that threaded for a brake.

Like a lot of others, Retumbo worked very well shooting 160 ABs in my Sako Finbear.
I get 1/2" to 3/4" or better groups.
This gun did not like Hornady bullets.
I have not tried the ELD's yet. Probably won't.
Good luck with your loads.

I picked up a bunch of ELDs, hoping my rifle will like them. Had good results in the past with IMR 7828ssc, and retumbo (with berger 195s). Working up a 150gn T-TSX load with H-4831sc right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts