CANT , How much , Rail or Mount

Gerald89

So Ive got my new PMII with double turn elevation system.
The rifle is zeroed in.
I'm now trying to reach out further so go to dial in the second turn and I hit the stop at 106cm not even on the second turn(max available 220cm)!

Presumably the only way is to cant the scope forward?

I calculate that at 45 MOA to get full use of resolution in this example is that correct?

Is there a rule that says a flat mounted scope with an Xmm tube gives X MOA elevation for a certan calibre/zero distance?

So that one can choose the cant etc in advance when planning a new set up?

What is best to cant , rail or mount?

Thanks

Jeza

I´d go with a 20 moa rail, badger and others make them and you will probably be able to use your actual mounts

What rifle are we talking aout Jeza?
You might take a look at the bases Ken Farrell makes if its avalable for your rifle. he wil do custom tapers that will let you make the most of your rig, and the customs cost less than the badgers, book items can be had from brownells for about $65. Its also a good idea to use a bore sighter to make sure that all of the turret rotation is "live travel" and actually moving the internals before you get too far into getting a base. You probably won't have taht problem with the high end scope you are using.. but better safe than sorry.

Its for the Accuracy AW in .243Win (the AI factory is allegedly reopening tomorrow).
I have asked to have a picittiny rail fitted, then I started thinking about the cant business.
They bond and screw the rail so what ever I decide I am stuck with it!

Ken makes a weaver for that rifle...72.80 for the 20moa, or the flat... so he is almost certanly able to do a custom... might give it some thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jeza you have 2 options. either a canted rail or a canted 1 or 2 piece mount. I would certainly go with the 20MOA cant.I would base my decision on what the cost is going to be. and if AI do a canted rail. If you go with a canted rail you can use the mounts you have now. Depending on what AI charge for the rail you might be better off with a set of canted rings./ AI do em to fit thier own dove tail. They are a bit naff but work if you aren't removing the scope and expect return to zero. Have a look at the pic that Nowler posted on the mounts i supplied him with. That will give you an idea on what the 1 pice mounts look like, the ones i have only fit picatinny rails.
Pete
I hope you didn't pay too much for your PMII.

jezza

the sws2000 mount that pete supplied me would be my reccomendation. it is spot on in terms of quality and i am very impressed with it. there are pics on the equipment review thread.

derek

just out of interest, how far do you think you 243 is gonna get you before you go transonic?

Thanks everyone for your replies,

Pete, AI are offering their mount with 20moa in it as standard.

As I have now asked for picatinny rail your sws rail would be ideal , how much is it?

My PMII was second hand @ £600 with double turn and parallax.

Derek, yes good question!

Realistically I have a 600M set up.

The thing is though I want to free up the second turn so those yellow bits switch on in the turret cause they look nice.

I figure if I was to go to 1000Mtrs with 90gr lapua scenars @ 3120 fps they would arrive @ 1188.8 fps and need 119 clks.

Just fast enough?

The other thing is when I re barrel to 1in8 and re chamber to AI.243 it will be all ready for action

cheers
Jeza

Jeza. the mount retails at 350 euro's ( thats 239 quid) it sounds a lot, but when you think about the fact that the rifle its designed for has a built in picatinny rail, so you don't need to pay for a screw on one. I'd do you one for 200 quid. To be honest if you are getting a canted picatinny rail you'd be better of using badger ord rings. but if you are getting a flat pic rail you will need a canted set of rings. I can get you the Badgers for a decent price too.
Pete

what powder you planning on using in the 243? i ran it through quickload and 3200plus is easily attainable, assuming you have a 26" pipe?

derek

My barrel will be 24".
I have figues for a 90Gr FMJ through a 23" with 40.9grs of N160 (which I have got) giving velocity of 3127 fps.

What is the slowest you want to be going before loss of accuracy?

hi gerald

the load you have listed above will not give that velocity in quickload. where are you getting your data from?

derek

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.