how much power

rootbeer

I am putting together a 30-06 for shooting out to 1000 yards. I was looking at the Nightforce 12-42x56BR but am now wondering how much power do I really need for hitting a dinner plate at this distance when shooting a .22 caliber sabot and hitting same said dinner plate at 600 yards when shooting a .30 caliber bullet. I do like the 12" mirage tube available for the Nightforce. I am not sure anybody else offers one that long.

to sight on a diner plate if it is a bright colored one 20x to 25 x is enought and avoid to much mirage

30.06 is a good long range cartridge with the 175 SMK or the 190 SMK ( perhaps the Hornady 178 AMAX )

Accurate powder give 55.5 grain ( max ) of AA4350 with 190 SMK no moly bullet for 2663 fps in a 24 inch test barrel that enought to reach 1000 yards

if you use a 26 inch you get better velocity

22 sabot doesn t give amazing accuracy even if they reach funny velocity

good shooting

DAN TEC

Mike,
Then it seems I could get away with a 6-24X or 8-32X and save a boatload of bananas over the Nightforce 12-42x56BR I was wanting. I'll consider it, but you can't beat the "envy factor" of the Nightforce.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts