Can you accurately shoot hunting bullets in a VLD throat?

fmajor

So I just had a new barrel chambered in 7mm-300 Win Mag - been wanting to do this for a long time...

My 'smith is a very good machinist and gunsmith on things he's done for me previously and has done many wildcats and shot benchrest across the decades. However, this is the 1st 7mm-300 Win Mag he's ever done (having done 7mm-300 Weatherby and others many times before). Unfortunately (or fortunately depending I guess), there are more than a few reamers at PTG and I believe he ordered, mistakenly, a reamer intended for a VLD throat.

I did mention i did not want to shoot VLD's but he didn't recall it and is not the type to admit when wrong.

Now I'm stuck with a chamber that's way too long for the bullets I've been buying (160gr Swift A-Frames 160gr AccuBonds).

It's not an option to return the barrel (Lilja CM 27" 5 contour) and I'm generally very pleased with it.

Please advise?

I do not recall....but it is long... a lot of bullet hanging out the case to reach the lands. I can give him a call and see

Treat it like a varmint barrel:
  1. Figure out COL when the bullet bearing surface is only 40-50% in the neck
  2. Call that "jammed"
  3. Work backwards like normal
There's nothing carved in stone anywhere saying you have to make a bullet be all snuggly with the lands to shoot well. I have more than one barrel where jamming a bullet isn't possible because the bullet wouldn't be in the case neck anymore, big 6mms set up for 100+gn bullets that still shoot the small pills very well.

"a lot of bullet hanging out the case to reach the lands"

Please explain this statement.

Personally I like the bullet shank/boat tail junction to be right at the case neck/shoulder junction when the ogive is at or just off the lands.

I can think of two I have that were deliberately chambered to shoot VLDs. Both use the common pacific tool and gauge throat angle of 1 1/2 degrees

The 257 Weatherby has the freebore shortened to approximately .100" vs the original Weatherby freebore of .375". It shoots the 115 Berger VLD hunting bullet fantastically. It also shot the 110 accubond just as accurately. No issues with the jump to the lands.

The other is a 284 with the throat cut so the 168 Berger VLD kisses the lands and fits into a 3.050" magazine. With no changes to the seater die the rifle also shoots the 120 Nosler ballistic tip which does not touch the lands.

I would suggest you seat the accubonds or A frames to fit and feed from the magazine and work up a load to see the rifle's potential. I wouldn't worry about the jump to the lands. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
The 257 Weatherby has the freebore shortened to approximately .100" vs the original Weatherby freebore of .375". It shoots the 115 Berger VLD hunting bullet fantastically. It also shot the 110 accubond just as accurately. No issues with the jump to the lands.
My .257 WBY is SAAMI spec, but I have no problem touching the lands with the 145 Black Hole Bullet.

Have you shot it yet?

I lengthend the throat on a 7mm RM and it shot shorter bullets well. Just think of it as more case capacity 🤣

It may not like that particular bullet, but it will probably like something.

As others said. Set it to mag length/lands and test.

This throat is set up to shoot a 250 Berger (long throat). Due to mag length restrictions, I cannot get close to the lands. This is a different bullet, but it still shoots well.

IMG_5635.jpeg

Last edited:
fmajor, I think you have some terms confused. The "VLD chamber"(?) I do not believe is your issue. The reamer used has too much freebore on it for your use.

Some gunsmiths order reamers with a shortish freebore, then offer a service to the customer to throat the chamber to the customer's dummy rounds provided with a small fee.

To keep myself out of these types of situations, I always order my reamers first, been busted a couple of times like you have.

AZshooters advise is sound.

What's the dimensions of the throat on that reamer?

In most cases, a Berger VLD doesn't need as long of a throat as other bullets of the same weight.

I've shot non-VLD bullets quite well from some of my chambers that also shot VLD bullets extremely well.

That is quite reassuring!!! I am not entirely opposed to VLD bullets so if I were to use them (predator hunting) that would be great if it shot both well. Thank you!

Treat it like a varmint barrel:
  1. Figure out COL when the bullet bearing surface is only 40-50% in the neck
  2. Call that "jammed"
  3. Work backwards like normal
There's nothing carved in stone anywhere saying you have to make a bullet be all snuggly with the lands to shoot well. I have more than one barrel where jamming a bullet isn't possible because the bullet wouldn't be in the case neck anymore, big 6mms set up for 100+gn bullets that still shoot the small pills very well.
QT - that is very insightful advice. I'm needing my hunting rounds to fit in the mag so adjusting your method to the max mag length and calling that "good" is what I'm going to have to do. Thanks!!!

"a lot of bullet hanging out the case to reach the lands"

Please explain this statement.

Personally I like the bullet shank/boat tail junction to be right at the case neck/shoulder junction when the ogive is at or just off the lands.

If I were to guess (haven't measured it with the caliper) i'd say the base of the bullet (on the A-Frame) is mid-way in the neck between the neck/shoulder junction and the end of the case neck if not a wee bit closer to the end of the case neck.

I agree with your seating preference, though in my (now antiquated) experience it hasn't happened that often for me.

I can think of two I have that were deliberately chambered to shoot VLDs. Both use the common pacific tool and gauge throat angle of 1 1/2 degrees

The other is a 284 with the throat cut so the 168 Berger VLD kisses the lands and fits into a 3.050" magazine. With no changes to the seater die the rifle also shoots the 120 Nosler ballistic tip which does not touch the lands.

I would suggest you seat the accubonds or A frames to fit and feed from the magazine and work up a load to see the rifle's potential. I wouldn't worry about the jump to the lands. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks AZShooter! That is the approach I'm going to take. I am hoping to find a good accuracy node that has excellent velocity as well.

Q: Can you accurately shoot hunting bullets in a VLD throat?

A: Yes!

Ya know FEENIX, of all the Folks here, I expected a more thought-out response from you.... :) "Can you _____" merely expresses vulgar possibility... I was hoping for a more presumptive affirmative given contextual parameters and generally accepted performance befitting Long Range Hunting. :eek:

Have you shot it yet?

I lengthend the throat on a 7mm RM and it shot shorter bullets well. Just think of it as more case capacity 🤣

It may not like that particular bullet, but it will probably like something.

As others said. Set it to mag length/lands and test.

This throat is set up to shoot a 250 Berger (long throat). Due to mag length restrictions, I cannot get close to the lands. This is a different bullet, but it still shoots well.

View attachment 524094
Hey Shane - no, haven't shot it yet. In fact, I just got done setting the head spacing. Next up is clearing out the stock inlet and give the 'old girl a nice bedding in some Marine-Tex. BTW, that group is confidence inspiring!
fmajor, I think you have some terms confused. The "VLD chamber"(?) I do not believe is your issue. The reamer used has too much freebore on it for your use.

Some gunsmiths order reamers with a shortish freebore, then offer a service to the customer to throat the chamber to the customer's dummy rounds provided with a small fee.

To keep myself out of these types of situations, I always order my reamers first, been busted a couple of times like you have.

AZshooters advise is sound.
Hey VinceMule - yeah, that would be wise.... However, i ought not to grouse too much cuz the 'smith bought the reamer....but, still, i would've been better served by ensuring, in writing, exactly what I wanted.

Thank you all!!!! I'll update as I can (work perks up this time of year for me.....).

frank

Im with the rest who say don't worry and shoot. I have a 7-08AI reamer with .100" freebore and a 1.5 deg lead for VDL, ELD-X, Accubonds, and Partions. I fire form and hunt with Spitzers and it shoots them fine.