Can we talk custom actions?

There are Mack Bros for about $600….no idea where to buy or if they are a good value.

There are the PTG trued Rem 700 & Stiller. ….Stiller has a good name, but I'm not sure I'd buy much from PTG based on rep alone.

Bighorn Origin is a solid choice. $825/$925 Lots of people having success. Interchangeable bolt heads. Interchangable handles. CRF. Solid extractor.

Beyond this are many fine $1000+ choices.

Even if you have a smith true an action you'll be hard pressed to match a bighorn origin with it's flexibility. If you wish to run a custom action and do prefits on a lower price point you have limited options. I would do a bighorn everyday. I have a TL3 and am incredibly happy with it.

Even if you have a smith true an action you'll be hard pressed to match a bighorn origin with it's flexibility. If you wish to run a custom action and do prefits on a lower price point you have limited options. I would do a bighorn everyday. I have a TL3 and am incredibly happy with it.
Pretty much this. I have factory 700 actions that I was fortunate to have bought for cheap. I have a couple Evos and a couple Stillers. I don't care about prefits or swapping bolt faces and the origin is still a bargain without those benefits being considered.

Pretty much this. I have factory 700 actions that I was fortunate to have bought for cheap. I have a couple Evos and a couple Stillers. I don't care about prefits or swapping bolt faces and the origin is still a bargain without those benefits being considered.
Where is the best place to buy an Origin if that's the route I take?

I often read about the remington "RR" series actions needing the primary extraction fixed . I'll bet by the time you buy a rem action,get it trued up , and the primary extraction fixed ,your in the price range of the lower priced customs .
I will say this about that. I have 2 RR actions that don't have the best primary extraction but believe the issue to be slightly blown out of proportion for the most part. They both extract cases with no issues. I have never seen the need to have an action trued but these are hunting rifles and shooting a little under moa is perfectly fine for my application. I agree with the point of not putting money into a factory action with the price of entry level customs though.

There are Mack Bros for about $600….no idea where to buy or if they are a good value.

There are the PTG trued Rem 700 & Stiller. ….Stiller has a good name, but I'm not sure I'd buy much from PTG based on rep alone.

Bighorn Origin is a solid choice. $825/$925 Lots of people having success. Interchangeable bolt heads. Interchangable handles. CRF. Solid extractor.

I have three rifles on Mack Brothers stainless Evo actions and dollar for dollar they are one of the best values out there (opinion of course) they are $600 shipped as of last order. You can call and get placed on a list so you are notified when batches are complete.

Also have a rifle on an Origin that is really nice too. The interchangable bolt head is nice.

Have a Tenacity that is nice too and they now have a integral recoil lug.

All listed are at least close to the $700 mark.

Two grand budget will be a little tough with a carbon build and custom action that is considered "lighter" than normal. Most light or Ti actions are well over a grand and most carbon barrels will be too with chamber and threads unless you go prefit.

Whatever you decide it will be fun to build and shoot so enjoy!

Look at either Bighorn Origin you can change out bolt heads if you go magnum or standard, another choice Kelbly Atlas Tactical, this one comes with a 20 MOA rail, you can find them for 950.00, not sure on the Origin, but you will not get it down to 750.00, the other action is a Gunwerks action, they have the base model starting at 850.00, but I think you have to add a rail.

Carbon fiber barrel is going to be expensive no matter how you cut it. If you're not running a can, I would just get a lighter profile steel barrel. If you are, Proof does prefits for the origin action. It might save you some money over buying a blank and having it fitted if they have an option that suits you. They don't have 260, but they have similar options, seem to run in the $800s street price.

The origins are excellent actions, buy with confidence. $2000 with a carbon barrel will be tough. Lightweight steel, possible to get pretty close with a Savage style prefit in the $300s.

Grayboe runs sales throughout the year, sign up for their email list and you should be able to save a decent amount. They had 20% for black Friday. Red hawk rifles will run sales on grayboe as well, often times including a free bottom metal. Sign up for their emails as well.

You can find the pre-fit's at Preferred Barrel blanks, they have a 260 Remington, see below, go to pre-fit's.

Good info here

In another post, I asked the community for input on components for a custom build. I stated that I figured I was going to use a Rem700, but a few members mentioned that I should go custom. I have never researched custom actions. My research has made me realize that everyone has a different idea of what the best "value" custom action is. So now, throughly confused, I need help again.

the goal of my build is a lightweight 260 Rem with a carbon fiber barrel and a Grayboe Trekker (non-negoiatble). I'm looking for a good value lightweight short action in a Rem700 footprint. I was going to do a Remage barrel, but I think I'll just get a prefit if I'm going custom. I really want to be around $750 with trigger and rail if possible. Overall budget for the build is around $2k. Would love to hear opinions.
Bighorn - proof pre fit and your set up good to go

Recent Posts