Can shooting into the wind lift your bullet?

Yes exactly, thats why I'm confused also. It shoots 1/2 MOA. My dope for 1000 was at 26.6 MOA. But there was a slight angle to which it equates to 980 yards. So I don't know if it's human error or what. It tracks low at 24 moa.
You've got me confused now.

Did you dial 12 up and then from that point come down 24MOA?

Or did you dial 12 up, back to zero, and then down 24 MOA?

I'm with Broz (again) your ring alignment might be off.

What kind of rings are you using?

Even more though it sounds to me like you have a busted scope and need to send it in.

Try this, it will only take you six shots.

Dial from zero 10 right. Fire a shot, then ten up. Fire a shot, 20 left, fire, 10 down, fire, 10 more down, fire, ten right, fire, and finally 10 up and fire again.

If you don't end up back at zero something is wrong with your scope. You can also measure center to center on your shot holes and see where you are off.

This needs to be done one shot at a time on a cold bore for each shot.

I shot at zero then dialed up 12 then shot. Then I dialed back down to zero and shot again to confirm zero. Then I dialed up to 24 and shot, then back to zero. I did this two times.

I took the scope off and gunsmith looked at rings. They are off by just a very small amount and will have them lapped. I'm using night force low rings.

My scope probably is messed up but I'm done sending it in. I'm not going to deal with it anymore. The scope is up for sale in the classifieds (at a steep discount) with an explanation of the problem. It might be sold already.

I'm not burning anymore round with this scope.

You've got me confused now.

Did you dial 12 up and then from that point come down 24MOA?

Or did you dial 12 up, back to zero, and then down 24 MOA?

I'm with Broz (again) your ring alignment might be off.

What kind of rings are you using?

Even more though it sounds to me like you have a busted scope and need to send it in.

Try this, it will only take you six shots.

Dial from zero 10 right. Fire a shot, then ten up. Fire a shot, 20 left, fire, 10 down, fire, 10 more down, fire, ten right, fire, and finally 10 up and fire again.

If you don't end up back at zero something is wrong with your scope. You can also measure center to center on your shot holes and see where you are off.

This needs to be done one shot at a time on a cold bore for each shot.

It tracks low at 24 moa.

Yet shoots high at 900 and 1000 yards. This does not compute and needs to be figured out.

The problem is either mechanical ( scope or mounts ?) or mathematical (Bad program input data ?) Before this can be fixed the real problem needs to be diagnosed.

Jeff

Yet shoots high at 900 and 1000 yards. This does not compute and needs to be figured out.

The problem is either mechanical ( scope or mounts ?) or mathematical (Bad program input data ?) Before this can be fixed the real problem needs to be diagnosed.

Jeff
Or possibly a stress issue in the action/stock melding.

My original 700 Rem 7 mag was absolutely dead on for the first shot but then would very quickly climb about 10" and 6-9" Left every time.

After numerous trips back to Remington and to the gunsmith I finally sent it of to a guy in Houston who was a NASA engineer and part time gunsmith and gun builder and he said the whole thing was just a mess out of square and true from start to finish.

There is a verticle component to wind drift associated with rotation of the bullet
Wind from the right with a right hand twist will tend to shoot higher to the left. Wind from the left will tend to shoot lower right

There is a verticle component to wind drift associated with rotation of the bullet
Wind from the right with a right hand twist will tend to shoot higher to the left. Wind from the left will tend to shoot lower right

Yes Sir, that is correct. But nowhere near the amount of the OPs problem in the conditions he was shooting. Nor does it compute to 3 moa low at yards yet a couple moa high at 1000 with the same dial in data.

WildRose I understand and agree about stress and out of true. But the OP has stated the rifle shoots 1/2 moa consistent groups.

I am going to assume , and that is not a scientific conclusion at all. But in my mind from what has been discussed about this condition in this thread. If it were my rifle it would be stripped down of all scope mounting. Rail would be inspected and if no problems found reinstalled with proper bedding to insure it stayed true and flat on top. Then ring alignment checked and scope remounted. Then I would examine with a fine tooth come the actual tracking of the scope and ALL inputted data into the ballistic program especially in regards to scope turret calibration, powder temp variation, BC and I would get a velocity average from an Oehler 35 or a Magneto speed.

The facts that the results from shooting at 100 yards and the results at 900 and 1000 are in complete disagreement indicates multiple problems to me.

It will be interesting for Big Cat to install a new scope with no other modifications and using the same data in the ballistic app and see what results he has then.

Just my opinion for what its worth.

Jeff

Oh!! Good point. Meters instead of Yards? But that would make the shots go low at 900 and 1000. Maybe RF is on yards and Ballistic app on meters?

Jeff

Jeff, this is a good theory, but he said he was spot on, on the gongs to 800, then was high at 900, 1000.
Ya dont go from spot on to high in 100 yards if all else is correct, im leaning towards something is wrong with the inputs on his ballistic program......

Jeff, this is a good theory, but he said he was spot on, on the gongs to 800, then was high at 900, 1000.
Ya dont go from spot on to high in 100 yards if all else is correct, im leaning towards something is wrong with the inputs on his ballistic program......

Yep, correct. I was looking for an error that increases with distance like the difference between meters and yards. Or like BL said a mis-range in distance at some point. Not arguing what you pointed out, just thought maybe the error at 800 < was smaller than at 1000 and was not as noticeable inside the 1/2 moa accuracy of the rifle? But I agree input data keeps coming up and rightfully so.

Jeff

Yep, correct. I was looking for an error that increases with distance like the difference between meters and yards. Or like BL said a mis-range in distance at some point. Not arguing what you pointed out, just thought maybe the error at 800 < was smaller than at 1000 and was not as noticeable inside the 1/2 moa accuracy of the rifle? But I agree input data keeps coming up and rightfully so.

Jeff

O im with ya now, ya there has to be an error at 800 too, perhaps not enough in that he still hit the gong at 800, but enough for a miss at 900.

Sight height (above bore)calculation, or turret tracking, as has been said.........

Big cat stick with it buddy ya got some of the best helpin here.

Last edited:

I am thinking the same thing. Maybe lifting the guns elevation to shoot at 1000 introduces more slope range , LOS angle. This could cause a higher POI shooting more uphill or even down hill .
Shooting at gongs is never a good way to establish exactly where the gun is shooting , From the top to the bottom of a gong could be a big area and if you hit it anyplace it stills registers a hit . You may be already high at 800 and the extra LOS angle is enough to go way high at 1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.