Wind shooting

JBM

Thanks, I really appreciate that.

At first glance it appears that that my Thumb-Rule info is off by 4 to 6 inches (on the short side) at 1000 yards depending on the position (near or far) of my situational wind. I'd not considered creating a Scientific Wild *** Guess (SWAG) factor to account for the increased Time Of Flight (TOF) at distance and how to increase my wind induced deflection numbers. I'll work on that!

I did find it interesting about the angular change continuing to increase after the projectile exited the wind effect area. Appears to be about a factor of 2 as does the 500 to 600 yard deflection as compared to my original Thumb-Rule stuff.

Is this "point mass" calculation/program available in a form that I could use? I'm a little short on higher education skills and am primarily a "poke and hope" type with geometry.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Is this "point mass" calculation/program available in a form that I could use? I'm a little short on higher education skills and am primarily a "poke and hope" type with geometry.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. I have a free Windows DLL for download [I get a lot of email saying "I'm not really good at math, but I program..."] and I wrote PM to test it. All I have is a Linux executable.

Brad, you the JBM eskimo guy??? What part of Florida? Welcome aboard regardless!

JBM

Thanks. I downloaded the MPM 0.9.28... I'll play with it in a bit.

Wind has always been of great interest to me and I'm working on a program to allow multivector winds and couldn't work out the wind induced acceleration and deceleration components. Perhaps this MPM will bring some things into focus for me.

/r

Keep in mind that MPM does interpolation in a "wind field". You specify the wind at various points and it uses 2D interpolation to find the wind at all points. You cannot very easily turn the wind on and off like I showed in my other posts.

JBM

Okay... My smile deminished a bit but overall I'm still better off than I was.
smile.gif

Well, frost my possums! Howdy neighbor!
wink.gif

Glad you're here! Sorry, you can never check out. It's like the Hotel California.

Thanks for your site and expertise, and discussion as well. Been a help from time to time, and I'd like a nickel for every time I've seen it linked somewhere! Hang out here a bit, it gets interesting now and again.
grin.gif

AKA Dan

[ 02-18-2004: Message edited by: MAX ]

If this thread has proved 1 thing is that it is a whole lot easier to play with a 'puter program that to shoot accurately and that there is a whole bunch of different winds that effect the projectile on it's way to a target 1k away..Jr..Jeff Rogers

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I dont know about that i cant even get the thing to load right<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, you probably are. It's a "command line" program. Download it, unzip it and then open a "DOS box" go to the directory where you unzipped it and type "mpm" and hit return. If you double click it, it'll run, but depending on the current directory, it may not find its files.

Maybe someday I'll make a Windowed program for it, but I kind of doubt it.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.