Can I go without using my flashlight in the stand?

EdWalton

This is my first season with my new Schmidt & Bender 5-25 x 56 PMII (which I've talked on and on about all summer long). With or without the lighted crosshairs I can see the target and crosshairs through the scope, up to and well after end of day. But near end of day I can't see the markings on the turrets. The hogs have not been out during the day, so I've dug out my old green flashlight.
When trying to see the markings, are there other tactics to try?
Thank You

Ed

I use one of those headlamps with the band used for hiking at night or whatever. It has 3 brightness settings and an integral red lens which is easily slid in front of the light. The red light is very low but will make anything in the stand visible.

This is my first season with my new Schmidt & Bender 5-25 x 56 PMII (which I've talked on and on about all summer long). With or without the lighted crosshairs I can see the target and crosshairs through the scope, up to and well after end of day. But near end of day I can't see the markings on the turrets. The hogs have not been out during the day, so I've dug out my old green flashlight.
When trying to see the markings, are there other tactics to try?
Thank You

Ed

Use plastic white label tape and a black marker to mark your adjustments and you should be covered pretty well. Using a light can get you in a lot of trouble in a hurry as game always seems to see it. Of course if you use a red or green light that reduces the problem.

I use one of those headlamps with the band used for hiking at night or whatever. It has 3 brightness settings and an integral red lens which is easily slid in front of the light. The red light is very low but will make anything in the stand visible.
I use the cyclops angled hat light and really like them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KWI6YE/?tag=lrhmag19-20

The light part of the unit goes from straight out as shown to 75-80 degrees downward.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.