Can a tight fit cause a slam fire?

Troutslayer

I resized a bunch of brass and didn't bump the shoulder back quite far enough. They still chamber, but with a little work. I am getting great accuracy with them, probably in part to the glove like fit. Anyway, say I had one that wouldn't chamber, and I was really forcing it, if the primer wasn't as far below flush as it should be, could this cause a slam fire, possibly with the bolt only half closed?? Just a thought. I'm not like beating on the bolt to get it to close or anything, just using a little bit of elbow grease on one here and there. Your thoughts?

Slam fires normally end up with someone picking metal out of their head and face!

I would resize them again. Sounds like you have a combination of factors that could make the "perfect storm". ie primers seated shallow and shoulders too far forward.

Add a firing pin extruding too much and disaster.

If the gun fires without the bolt locked, the bolt WILL come back and exit the action a high rate of speed. in 94' we had a guy do that and took a bolt thru his shoulder at a 1k match.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.