Win LR primers tight fit

Hespco

Was hand priming a batch of Win brand 270 brass today with Win LR primers. Primers were very tight. Hard to press in. Have always used CCI primers in the past & never had this problem. Am I the only one experiencing this?

Was hand priming a batch of Win brand 270 brass today with Win LR primers. Primers were very tight. Hard to press in. Have always used CCI primers in the past & never had this problem. Am I the only one experiencing this?

What are you using for brass? Is it brass that you have already reloaded, or is it some new brass just purchased? Did you ream the primer pockets out with a primer pocket reamer? I'm thinking that if the primers are tight after the pockets have been reamed out, then you might have a batch of oversized primers. Also what type if tool are you using to seat your primers? Would it be possible to try these primers in some brass that you know has not had a problem with primers? I know that there's a lot of questions, however they are some stuff that ought to be considered. I've been reloading for a very long time, I have never encountered tight primer pockets unless the brass was military, then the brass was crimped and the crimp had to be removed and the pocket chamfered.

The brass I'm loading is once fired Win.. The old primers were CCI. They went in without a problem. Ran out of the CCI so went with the Win's. It is the new Win primers that are so tight. Using a Lee hand priming tool I've had for years. I'm 74 & have been loading since I was 18. Have never experience tight primers like this. Primer pockets have been bottom squared. Also tried them in some once fired 264 mag brass. They were very snug in it also. Not as tight as the 270 brass but definitely tight. When fired they performed perfectly.

https://saami.org has the primer pocket specifications.

It possibe the tolerance are causing it. Minimum pockets and maximum primers. Have not seen it in WLP.

The CCI small pistol primers are tight for me in 357 mag.

I use the RCBS Ram Prime unit on my press. Makes the job easer, but slower.

Right. Have the RCBS Ram Prime my self. May have to use it the next time around. Will for sure get in a new supply of CCI primers.

Do you have a primer pocket reamer and did you use it. If it were my brass that is where I'd start, if they are tight then you have a primer tolerance problem not a brass problem. If you don't have a primer pocket uniformer they're like $20. I bought a Lyman ($20), took the cutter out of the handle and use it in my portable drill. I could not believe how much the primer pockets were out on some brass. I never realized the need for one until I started reading this forum. Did you measure the diameters of the primers? From what you have described it sounds like you have some oversized primers. I would also suggest that you give Winchester a call with the lot number off of the box of primers; they may have had a bad batch of primers. By the way, I have been reloading longer than you, of course you have to include the flintlock years also;):rolleyes:

I've used win in the past and never had this problem ! try reaming out the primer pockets with the primer pocket tool ! You want a little pressure but not enough to flatten the primer 1

I had to use a primer pocket uniformer on an entire batch of new Winchester cases recently - I'm not impressed with the condition of the necks either - I had to gently open them out with the shaft of a centre punch before I could neck trim them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.