Can 308 do everything you need a rifle to do under 600 yards?

Would be a tough call for me to shoot at an elk at 600 yds with a 308. If your at elevation out west you would gain some energy with the thin air but given your situation I may invest in a larger rifle with more long range punch and just buy factory ammo if you want to avoid having to reload for another caliber. I do love the idea of reducing my reloading calibers.
WHY ?????????? learn to shoot your gun

I was weened on a 308 in the army at 18 years old and we shot accuratly out to 900 meters. I have been shooting 308 ever since with my Howa 1500 heavy barreled mountain rifle for 30 years as my high powered hunting riffle. I see no reason to go to anything else! Up here in northern NH a 600 yard shot is rare. Thic woods and brush. I am more than comfortable with my 308. Ammo is plentyfull but I reload and don't buy much new factory ammo. I hit the sweet spot with my 168gr. HP loadings and my 165gr. S.P. loadings. I'm all set.
Share your powder choice for 165-168? Either my reloading is getting better or Im becoming a better shooter. I took maybe 700 shots from my 308s last year. Found a great load for 150s and 165s in 3031 powder this year. 43.5 grains behind the 150s and 41.5 grains behind the 165s with the latter shooting half MOA consistently. but the 150 grain load goes 2780 from my 18.5 inch 308 and 2690 from my 17 inch. Best speeds Ive gotten so far for my short barreled guns.

"My question is if I know that I will never take a shot longer than 600 yards at game. Will 308 do it all? All species?"

Over the decades, I have used the 308/7.62 in numerous types of rifles and at the 600 slow prone, Palma and 1,000 yard lines, and while it is a very accurate, easy to load and quite capable cartridge, I am not a fan of it for "all species" at 600 yards. Will it kill large and/or dangerous game at that range, most likely, but there are more capable cartridges for those animals at mid-range distances and windy days.

With that said, if it was all I had and with my experiences with it, I would maximize its ability and mine to its fullest extent. YMMV

Just me, I would limit my shots with a 308 to 500 or less. Too many variables. I've been using a 308 for 40 years.
Greetings Gents,

I am a hunter first and foremost. A few years back I decided to reduce the number of calibers I shoot and reload for. I settled on a 308 as my "do everything" high power cartridge and currently have 5 rifles chambered in 308.

My question is if I know that I will never take a shot longer than 600 yards at game. Will 308 do it all? All species?

Is there anyone else that has done similar/ I would like to hear about your experiences. Post photos too.

Im trying to talk myself out of buying a 300 WSM or 30-06.

Bluejay

If I had to pick a "do it all" round it would be my 300wm, and there wouldn't even be a close 2nd. That said, and while by no means my favorite round, the 308 is capable of taking any north American animal. 600yrd though, I'm my opinion, is pushing it for anything larger than a mule deer. I would keep it inside 400 for elk and 150 at most for a moose or griz.

Using the Hornady factory 178 gr ELDX load a s a comparison the 30-06 at 500 yards carries more energy 1533 ft/lbs vs 308's 1346 ft/lbs and the 6.5C energy is 1308 ft/lbs. You would have a margin more hit energy with the 06 and be equal to the 6.5C. So guess it would work, just keep in mind all the denigration on the 6.5C would apply to the 308 as it has the same energy at 500y.

Greetings Gents,

I am a hunter first and foremost. A few years back I decided to reduce the number of calibers I shoot and reload for. I settled on a 308 as my "do everything" high power cartridge and currently have 5 rifles chambered in 308.

My question is if I know that I will never take a shot longer than 600 yards at game. Will 308 do it all? All species?

Is there anyone else that has done similar/ I would like to hear about your experiences. Post photos too.

Im trying to talk myself out of buying a 300 WSM or 30-06.

Bluejay
Bullet placement and projectile function is what makes a shot lethal. Regardless of what that is. Yes it is very realistic to use a 308 for everything. Think back to a time when selection was much more limited and marketing was not what it is today.
What was the measure of lethality then?

break

Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.

break

separate; destroy; fracture: break a leg
Not to be confused with:
brake – reduce speed; a retarding device: apply the brakes

Definition of brake

(Entry 1 of 6)
1 : a device for arresting or preventing the motion of a mechanism usually by means of friction apply the brakes took his foot off the brake
2 : something used to slow down or stop movement or activity use interest rates as a brake on spendin

1. 2.
    interrupt (a sequence, course, or continuous state).
    "his concentration was broken by a sound"

Similar:
    interrupt

disturb

interfere with

noun

1. 1.
    an interruption of continuity or uniformity.
    "the magazine has been published w

Congratulations you can look up a definition. Muzzle brake's reduce recoil and I've heard arguments for and against. It's not really an argument as much as user preferences. I would rather reduce the recoil to spot my shots at long range for target practice. This way when the time comes to harvest an Elk it is one shot with excellent placement in less than excellent environments. The muzzle brake reduces the recoil to allow my kids to have a good experience so that I can pass along the fun of hunting and conservation.

Last edited:
CFE223 with a 178gr eldx in my 26" 308 hits 2775fps comfortably. It kills things just fine. 550 yards is my self imposed distance for killing groceries and that 308 will do it. I haven't messed with it since building the load and getting data in my kestrel but it kills one or two animals a year for me.

CFE223 with a 178gr eldx in my 26" 308 hits 2775fps comfortably. It kills things just fine. 550 yards is my self imposed distance for killing groceries and that 308 will do it. I haven't messed with it since building the load and getting data in my kestrel but it kills one or two animals a year for me.
Lol, killing groceries. Love it, I'm going to have to borrow that one. 👍

That's just average wind
yes, reading the wind gets pretty crazy. I took a deer last year at 260 yards with a 10 mph full value wind. I knew where I was going to set up and used my weather app the day before to get wind speed and direction. According to my research I could expect 8 inches of drift with my 308 shooting 110 grain hollow points. I held on the front edge of the shoulder and the wind drifted the bullet right into the kill zone. I don't often get shots like that so I was pleased with the result. Most of the time I'm in the woods and shots are less than 100 yds. I can only imagine doubling that yardage and wind value. And then in the mountains where you have updrafts and downdrafts!!! I don't know how you guys ever predicted your shots!!!.

Working on getting my FINGER better now. Touching up my equipment and getting to be a more consistent reloader. Money was never the issue in my decision. I didnt want to stock different powders, calibers of bullets and chose calibers that were cast friendly. Heck...I shoot all the inside 125 yard deer with a 44 magnum and a cast bullet.
Ruger Red Hawk 44 mag with Barnes bullets DRT out to 100 yds for me.