Can 308 do everything you need a rifle to do under 600 yards?

I disagree, yes it will
Ethics always comes into a thread like this. No way around it. I like to say that ethics is like people's limitations. Everyone has them but not everyone's are the same. I'll agree the numbers are intimidating for the 308 on Elk BUT it can be done easily if the right finger is on the trigger and conditions being good.

308 will work

Attachments

• 4305CDDA-8786-438D-A856-38F6A64610D5.jpeg
    4305CDDA-8786-438D-A856-38F6A64610D5.jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 6BFAAB85-7802-4BEF-8D90-9862D546EACF.jpeg
    6BFAAB85-7802-4BEF-8D90-9862D546EACF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 181
Greetings Gents,

I am a hunter first and foremost. A few years back I decided to reduce the number of calibers I shoot and reload for. I settled on a 308 as my "do everything" high power cartridge and currently have 5 rifles chambered in 308.

My question is if I know that I will never take a shot longer than 600 yards at game. Will 308 do it all? All species?

Is there anyone else that has done similar/ I would like to hear about your experiences. Post photos too.

Im trying to talk myself out of buying a 300 WSM or 30-06.

Bluejay
Shot placement is always key. I'm not a fan of a 308 myself but it's kinda the difference between Ford and Chevy. Everyone has their preference. I would say if you shoot it well and are sure of your ability you are good to go. That being said I would never talk a guy out of a new rifle.

Greetings Gents,

I am a hunter first and foremost. A few years back I decided to reduce the number of calibers I shoot and reload for. I settled on a 308 as my "do everything" high power cartridge and currently have 5 rifles chambered in 308.

My question is if I know that I will never take a shot longer than 600 yards at game. Will 308 do it all? All species?

Is there anyone else that has done similar/ I would like to hear about your experiences. Post photos too.

Bluejay
your 308 will kill anything in North America, but it all depends on the Shooter as to how clean the kill is. the 308 should be a one shot kill from 10 to 1000 yards if the shooter knows how to shoot his gun.

Greetings Gents,

Bluejay
I was weened on a 308 in the army at 18 years old and we shot accuratly out to 900 meters. I have been shooting 308 ever since with my Howa 1500 heavy barreled mountain rifle for 30 years as my high powered hunting riffle. I see no reason to go to anything else! Up here in northern NH a 600 yard shot is rare. Thic woods and brush. I am more than comfortable with my 308. Ammo is plentyfull but I reload and don't buy much new factory ammo. I hit the sweet spot with my 168gr. HP loadings and my 165gr. S.P. loadings. I'm all set.

Greetings Gents,

Bluejay
The short answer is.....yes...maybe. You need to look at the terminal performance of the specific bullet to see if it will still perform at 600 yards. They are velocity sensitive when you get near their outer design limits. For instance Barnes ttsx 165 May need 1500 fps to expand reliably. I just made this number up so don't take it as fact. For examples sake at the distance this bullet drops below 1500 fps you can expect it to act like an FMJ. You may very well hit the animal and kill it because FMJs tumble creating devastating wound channels. The problem is if it partially expands it may prevent tumble but also not expand enough for a good quick kill. For 600 yard shots you will have to reasearch what bullets will still have terminal velocity at that range. And that goes for any rifle. Even a 338 wm won't perform at 600 yards with the wrong bullet.

Ethics always comes into a thread like this. No way around it. I like to say that ethics is like people's limitations. Everyone has them but not everyone's are the same. I'll agree the numbers are intimidating for the 308 on Elk BUT it can be done easily if the right finger is on the trigger and conditions being good.
Working on getting my FINGER better now. Touching up my equipment and getting to be a more consistent reloader. Money was never the issue in my decision. I didnt want to stock different powders, calibers of bullets and chose calibers that were cast friendly. Heck...I shoot all the inside 125 yard deer with a 44 magnum and a cast bullet.

Would be a tough call for me to shoot at an elk at 600 yds with a 308. If your at elevation out west you would gain some energy with the thin air but given your situation I may invest in a larger rifle with more long range punch and just buy factory ammo if you want to avoid having to reload for another caliber. I do love the idea of reducing my reloading calibers.

Another HUGE consideration on these forums is, none of us really knows another's limitations, experience or skill behind a hunting rifle in hunting scenario's. Thats a huge handicap for someone telling another guy that he's unethical in his decision. I'm certainly not nearly as qualified as many here in my experience in LR hunting or ELR shooting. Always learning and always hard at it. I won't ever tell another member that they aren't ethical in taking a shot with a given rifle. It's not my place. I can only decide if it's something that is within my capability.

I have probably shot 1,000's of 168 .308 bullets at paper targets at 600 yards. It did just fine. With my self imposed limit of 400 yards for hunting deers and such the .308 would continue to do just fine. If I had to shoot an elk I would be real careful where I hit and use some bullet that would go deep inside the elk's body. Bears really scare me and I would want something bigger.
why do you need something bigger to shoot a Bear ???? I killed 3 Blacks with my M1 Carbine one of them was well over 600#, you don't need a cannon to kill animals in Montana for years I hunted with my 22-250 and all one shot kills including ELK. it's called shot placement.

I would shoot a .308 with a break, so what is your point? I usually hunt with a suppressor t

break

Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.

break

separate; destroy; fracture: break a leg
Not to be confused with:
brake – reduce speed; a retarding device: apply the brakes

Definition of brake

(Entry 1 of 6)
1 : a device for arresting or preventing the motion of a mechanism usually by means of friction apply the brakes took his foot off the brake
2 : something used to slow down or stop movement or activity use interest rates as a brake on spendin

Recent Posts