Can’t group CA Traverse 28 nosler

Proper assembly from any factory is important to check. CA doesn't have the best reputation so extra important to double check the basics.

View attachment 169281
I am sure if the crap bedding job was redone this would have solved the 3" groups because it shot about an 1" once dropped into a KRG Bravo.

However, CA recommendation was to grind the barrel channel away from the barrel which is about as stupid as it gets.
Was that bedded from the factory?

CA spot beds the lug and rear tang, it's sub par. Unfortunately FL bedding voids their warranty. They usually shoot better after a good bed job however.
Thanks. Haven't seen one. Crazy they would let that past final checks with a barrel channel that crooked. Guess they don't do the tape around the barrel trick when bedding

We are batting .500 with CA rifles. We have had a couple that shot great (.5 moa), a couple that were bad (2+ moa), and a couple that were moa at best. Other than these I can only think of one other rifle that we have not been able to get good sub moa, and I know that guys send us problem children.

Thanks. Haven't seen one. Crazy they would let that past final checks with a barrel channel that crooked. Guess they don't do the tape around the barrel trick when bedding
Technically that wouldn't be stress free bedding. A lot of mass produced rifles that's are bedded, are actually bedded to a slave action that may or may not even have a barrel on it.

Technically that wouldn't be stress free bedding. A lot of mass produced rifles that's are bedded, are actually bedded to a slave action that may or may not even have a barrel on it.
How does it stress the barrel when you put tape around the barrel to center it in the barrel channel during bedding?

It doesn't stress the barrel to put tape on it when you bed the action . What it does do is help keep it centered in the barrel channel and free floated .

I had trouble with my CA classic in the beginning as well. I used factory ammo for break in, then switched to hand loads. None would shoot under 1.5" at 100. So I popped the rifle out again and checked the stock over. The "bedding" wasn't great, uneven in front of recoil lug. I sanded it down so no more one sided contact, torqued it down to 50 in lbs and took it back to the range. It is very accurate now. It's my first carbon barrel, don't know if that little contact was enough to disrupt the harmonics, but it took care of it.

Well...if you are planning to shoot 168lrabs let me know...i have a couple new boxes i believe.....
My mtn rifle likes liteweight bullets.....

Update: met up with a very knowledgeable guy who worked with me through some hand loads. He immediately suggested going down to a 168 grain bullet and switching to Retumbo. I previously had 175s with H1000. Some more load tweaking and we are at a 1/2 group!
Thanks for posting this. The resolution isn't often posted when a problem exists.

Update: met up with a very knowledgeable guy who worked with me through some hand loads. He immediately suggested going down to a 168 grain bullet and switching to Retumbo. I previously had 175s with H1000. Some more load tweaking and we are at a 1/2 group!
I am curious, by dropping down in bullet weight, did it put the base of the bullet above the neck/shoulder junction? If so, I wonder if you had issues with donuts in your case? I know on my 28 Nosler, I have an issue with donuts and need to purchase a neck Turner and an annealer to fix my problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.