Can’t group CA Traverse 28 nosler

I would put the brake back on, lose the suppressor for now, lose the sled as well. Either use sand bags on the forend stock, bipod, or Caldwell BR Rock, use a rear sand bag as well. I would practice in this position and dry fire while maintaining on target, see if you have any flinching taking place anticipating a shot. Once you have that under control, load one and see what happens, wait a few minutes and try a second round and repeat with a third. If you are still shooting all over the target, check rings and base torque settings. If all is still good, then I would change out the scope and see if it is not holding zero. If you are still having problems with a different scope contact the manufacturer. The reason I mentioned try different scope, I had an issue similar to what you are seeing and just happened to try a different scope and wham, I was holding a group.

Contact Christensen about it. A good friend had a ridgeline in 28 and we couldnt get it to shoot under 2" consistently. Not sure what he ever found out but he sent it back and now has a different brand 28 that shoots great.

I helped a buddy with the same rifle as OP. He was to the point of driving to CA and clubbing them with it as that was all it was good for in his mind.Customer service said to bad you voided warranty. I've never been a CA fan but have helped guys out over the years with them as with this one.
I met him at the range. I shot 11/2 group. 180 Berger VLds. So we took the rifle to my place. I disassembled it. Discovered a few issues. Corrected those.
Made a chamber/throat measurements.
Loaded up some Hammer 169 HH over Retumbo with ADG brass. This load had worked on other "similar" rifles. Started 2 grains lower. Back to the range. First 3 shots 1/2 moa.
His final load was .3 moa at 100 yards
Just my experience and 2 cents

Good evening,

I'm looking for any advice you all may have. About 2 months ago I purchased a Christensen Arms Traverse in 28 Nosler that I can't get to group. I have a leopould Mark 5 scope on it. The best group I have gotten were my first shots out of the rifle, about a baseball size at 100yards with factory Nosler 175gr accubond LR's. I'm not a expert marksman but can group my savage 22-250 easily.

Over the past 2 months I have tried multiple loads with noslers 168 and 175 grain accubonds and Hornady 28nksler ammo. I shoot 3 rounds over about 3 minutes and then let the rifle cool for 15 minutes without any better results. Should I be letting it cool between every single shot?

I followed the barrel break in by firing 3 shots and cleaning.

I have ran a piece of paper between the barrel and stock with no issues and have checked all bolts/screws for correct torque.

I also have a suppressor coming for it that is quick detach. I took the CA muzzle brake off and installed the suppressors quick detach muzzle brake. Could the suppressors muzzle brake ruin the sub MOA guarantee?

Again,I'm not an expert marksman and it could be user error but Im only trying to group at 100 yards and every shot has been out of a lead sled.

Thank you for any advice you may have.

I have a CA Ridgeline in 28 Nos. that I returned for warranty 2 years ago. ( the scope base holes were not true to the bore)
I talked to the customer service rep a few times before i sent it in. It also wouldn't shoot factory 175's or hand loaded 175's and 180's.
He told me they tested it with Nosler 160 loads. I got some and it shot a lot better. (.650" @100).
I sent it in and when I got it back (3 months latter) it shot the 160Nos. factory about the same as before. They put a new barreled action in my stock so i did another barrel break-in following their procedure ( total of 50 rounds). By the way the scope base issue was better but still off.
The gun still doesn't shoot the heavy bullets as well as the 160's. Hand load 162 ELD-M's w/R26 shoot .5" and the load i hunt with is 143 Hammer's w/R33 they shoot better than all that i have tried. I had trouble with Nos. brass getting pressure before I thought it should and switched to Bertram and no more trouble. The necks were thicker on the Nos. that the Bert.
The CA Warranty does NOT say hand loads will void it, it says:
This limited warranty is null and void if the firearm has been misused; damaged (by accident or abuse); fired with improper ammunition;

The only mention of hand loads is this:
This limited warranty does not cover any damage caused by hand loaded, reloaded, or other improperly loaded ammunition.
Before i sent mine in I told the C.S. guy at Christensen about all the hand loads i had tried. He e-mailed a Fed-Ex shipping label to me while we were on the phone.
And finally after I had about 125 rounds through it I checked some of the factory 160's from the same box over a Labradar and they showed a velocity increase of 115 FPS.
Feel free to PM me if you want.

This isn't the first time that I have heard this about Christensen rifles . Some of them never shoot well , some of them do after quite a few rounds through them and some of them are real picky about bullets ,bullet weights , type of powder ,seating depth ect. .

Ditch the sled. If shooting on a bench, use a bag that lets the rifle slide back unobstructed. Also get a COMPETENT person to look over your rifle as CA has a lot of QC issues. You may have their poor bedding or barrel crooked in the barrel channel.

Good evening,

I'm looking for any advice you all may have. About 2 months ago I purchased a Christensen Arms Traverse in 28 Nosler that I can't get to group. I have a leopould Mark 5 scope on it. The best group I have gotten were my first shots out of the rifle, about a baseball size at 100yards with factory Nosler 175gr accubond LR's. I'm not a expert marksman but can group my savage 22-250 easily.

Over the past 2 months I have tried multiple loads with noslers 168 and 175 grain accubonds and Hornady 28nksler ammo. I shoot 3 rounds over about 3 minutes and then let the rifle cool for 15 minutes without any better results. Should I be letting it cool between every single shot?

I followed the barrel break in by firing 3 shots and cleaning.

I have ran a piece of paper between the barrel and stock with no issues and have checked all bolts/screws for correct torque.

I also have a suppressor coming for it that is quick detach. I took the CA muzzle brake off and installed the suppressors quick detach muzzle brake. Could the suppressors muzzle brake ruin the sub MOA guarantee?

Again,I'm not an expert marksman and it could be user error but Im only trying to group at 100 yards and every shot has been out of a lead sled.

Thank you for any advice you may have.
Here goes. I built a 28 for a man. Shots were cutting with our hand loads. He had bought a box of nosler factory 160 accubonds. I set up the chrono and got to it. The gun shot a 3 inch group and the ES was 80 fps and the average velocity was 3130 and that was out of a 27 inch brux. So much for that great Nosler ammo. Is your gun just spraying in a big group? Hard for me to believe it is loose mounts when it is new but something to check. Try another scope? I had a man bring me a 25/06 that quit shooting. Wood stock gun. The guard screws were loose. I believe the CA guns have a good reputation but as I found out it could be your ammo.

Got a CA Ridgeline in 280ai. Not quite as bad as above but won't shoot MOA with multiple factory rounds . Two different high end scopes. Will try all above tips.

The gun shot a 3 inch group and the ES was 80 fps
I saw the same thing with Hornandy factory ammo I helped a guy figure out his 300WM. He was convinced it was the gun. The factory stuff had 100 E.S spread
In my opinion factory ammo is to much of a gamble.

I would definitely get a second shooter and another guy to verify the setup before blasting CA. It's really hard to screw up a rifle that bad to where it shoots that big of groups. I tested this theory by throwing a barrel in the 3jaw from across the shop and machining it with .007" runout. It shot fine.

The only mention of hand loads is this:
This limited warranty does not cover any damage caused by hand loaded, reloaded, or other improperly loaded ammunition.
Who determines that, CA
There warranty also say you have to follow there break in procedure and use match grade ammo.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts