Can’t group CA Traverse 28 nosler

Travism30

Good evening,

I'm looking for any advice you all may have. About 2 months ago I purchased a Christensen Arms Traverse in 28 Nosler that I can't get to group. I have a leopould Mark 5 scope on it. The best group I have gotten were my first shots out of the rifle, about a baseball size at 100yards with factory Nosler 175gr accubond LR's. I'm not a expert marksman but can group my savage 22-250 easily.

Over the past 2 months I have tried multiple loads with noslers 168 and 175 grain accubonds and Hornady 28nksler ammo. I shoot 3 rounds over about 3 minutes and then let the rifle cool for 15 minutes without any better results. Should I be letting it cool between every single shot?

I followed the barrel break in by firing 3 shots and cleaning.

I have ran a piece of paper between the barrel and stock with no issues and have checked all bolts/screws for correct torque.

I also have a suppressor coming for it that is quick detach. I took the CA muzzle brake off and installed the suppressors quick detach muzzle brake. Could the suppressors muzzle brake ruin the sub MOA guarantee?

Again,I'm not an expert marksman and it could be user error but Im only trying to group at 100 yards and every shot has been out of a lead sled.

Thank you for any advice you may have.

Last edited:
Good evening,

I'm looking for any advice you all may have. About 2 months ago I purchased a Christensen Arms Traverse in 28 Nosler that I can't get to group. I have a leopould Mark 5 scope on it. The best group I have gotten were my first shots out of the rifle, about a baseball size at 100yards with factory Nosler 175gr accubond LR's. I'm not a expert marksman but can group my savage 22-250 easily.

Over the past 2 months I have tried multiple loads with noslers 168 and 175 grain accubonds and Hornady 28nksler ammo. I shoot 3 rounds over about 3 minutes and then let the rifle cool for 15 minutes without any better results. Should I be letting it cool between every single shot?

I followed the barrel break in by firing 3 shots and cleaning.

I have ran a piece of paper between the barrel and stock with no issues and have checked all bolts/screws for correct torque.

I also have a suppressor coming for it that is quick detach. I took the CA muzzle brake off and installed the suppressors quick detach muzzle brake. Could the suppressors muzzle brake ruin the sub MOA guarantee?

Again,I'm not an expert marksman and it could be user error but Im only trying to group at 100 yards and every shot has been out of a lead sled.

Thank you for any advice you may have.
The difference in recoil and muzzle blast between a 22-250 and 28 Nosler are significant, the later magnified with a brake. I am not saying it is you, but it could be you. If you have any sort of a flinch it could cause groups like that.

Just curious, do you have any pictures of the groups?

Also, my guess is your rings and bases are loose or something. If its a bad barrel, christensen will replace it.

Rings, bases and scope?? For sure have someone else shoot it, I shot my buddies rifle last weekend way better than him to 1,000. With him doing all the math. BEWARE LOL. Loose the sled. Shoot three while trying to stay on the rifle while keeping all snuggled in the same as soon as you get the same feeling. The rifle needs to recoils smooth and straight rearward. There is zero need to wait too long between shots. I'm sure better shooters here will have more ideas...GEt another box/brand of ammo...

The difference in recoil and muzzle blast between a 22-250 and 28 Nosler are significant, the later magnified with a brake. I am not saying it is you, but it could be you. If you have any sort of a flinch it could cause groups like that.

Just curious, do you have any pictures of the groups?

Also, my guess is your rings and bases are loose or something. If its a bad barrel, christensen will replace it.
Everything I've read says your supposed to let the rifle recoil and not try to stop it. I also hold on target and slowly squeeze until it goes off. I try to make Jt surprise
Me. Am I wrong?

Rings, bases and scope?? For sure have someone else shoot it, I shot my buddies rifle last weekend way better than him to 1,000. With him doing all the math. BEWARE LOL. Loose the sled. Shoot three while trying to stay on the rifle while keeping all snuggled in the same as soon as you get the same feeling. The rifle needs to recoils smooth and straight rearward. There is zero need to wait too long between shots. I'm sure better shooters here will have more ideas...GEt another box/brand of ammo...
I think I should lose the sled as well. It makes it hard to hold the same way every time. Unfortunately their isn't much commercially available 28 nosler ammo

Everything I've read says your supposed to let the rifle recoil and not try to stop it. I also hold on target and slowly squeeze until it goes off. I try to make Jt surprise
Me. Am I wrong?
Have you let somebody else shoot the rifle? Anytime I am having accuracy problems I let a buddy who I know is a great shot shoot the gun, just to make sure its not me.

Also, lead sleds are hell on scopes and can effect accuracy.

Ensure scope bases/rings are tight. Shoot off a bipod and rear bag loading into the bipod semi firmly, not your whole shoulder weight, but not free recoiling. Keep the brake on as Christensen supposedly tested it that way. They do make a bad rifle from time to time.

I had one a week or so ago that was doing the same thing it was a 300 prc but when I took the stock off you could see where the barrel was contacting the stock on one side from barrel whip opened up the stock a little bit and bedded the action to it went from 4 inch at a hundred to 5/8 might be something to check good luck
That rifle had a very flexible barrel and stock

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.