Caliber Help

NONE of those..a good old plain Jane ho-hum 7mm Rem Mag will do everything and anything all those fly by nighters and hanging on by a threaders will do and more than likely more than most....it has stood the test of time without question...with no anxiety, added expense or worry !

I would have to agree with sockeye66 the 7mm-08 should be perfect for your intended purpose and it works for elk just fine out to 500 so mule deer will not be an issue

Slam dunk this!

As for your Colorado deal the 7/08 will more than cover you for that, if your still concerned then it looks like you have a couple other rockets in the corner that will do so.

I have shot the 284 in 22 and 23 and 24" barrel lengths and have settled on 23" as being the optimum for this caliber. With the 22" i lost between 40 and 60 FPS depending on bullet wt and the 24" only gained 20 to 40 FPS with the extra inch. My max velocity with with TSX bullets was 200 FPS than what I've been able to achieve in my two 7-08's. Per the formula I've developed based on bore diameter and case length, 22" is the optimum barrel length for the 7-08

Another vote for the 7mm-08. For Deer with some bullets it has a range of up to 700 yds with a 24" barrel.

Mine with the 150gr ELD-X and my wife's with the 162gr A-Max, both reach 700yds with 1,800 fps and just over 1,000 ft/lbs of energy. Using RL17 and GM210M's on both.