Caliber Help

Thomas Culver

I have a 22" 9 twist .284 barrel blank and I'm planning a short action build since I have a short action stock in the safe, but struggling with choosing a caliber. I think I've narrowed it to 7Saum, 284 Winchester, and 7SST. This will primarily be a Texas/Mexico whitetail gun, with shots under 300-400 yards, and occasional steel out to 1000. With the 9 twist my bullet selection will likely be the 162 ELDX/M, 168 ABLR, 168 Berger VLDH, or the 143 Hammer Hunters, depending on what I can find in stock. Been kicking this idea around for months and can't seem to narrow my focus on it.

Other calibers I have are 300RUM, 270WSM, 30-06, 308, 6.5PRC, 6.5CM, and 243, so I don't need a new gun, just wanting a change of pace.

If all you have is a stock I'd sell it and buy a medium length action for the cartridges you noted. If you stuck with the short action id do the 284 win since it will be more than sufficient for your intended range

Your caliber is .284 and you are looking for a CARTRIDGE.
If you are using a short action the 7 Sherman Short would be your best bet as it is designed to run long bullets in a short action and the 143 HH's are in stock and ready to ship.

I like the 284 win and have had one or more since 1984. My favorite recipe has been 56 gr of IMR 4350 behind a 140 gr Barnes TSX 3125 FPS out of a 23" shillen #3 match barrel. I get 7 to 8 loadings from the Winchester brass that I have been using.

7-08ai, 7 SAW, 284 Win, 7 SAUM, or what I'm waiting for.... 6.5 PRC or 6.8 Westerner opened up to a 7mm.

Oh... and 7-08 is plenty for big Mulies out to 400 yards. I dropped a big WY Mulie at just over 300 yds with factory Barnes 120 gr TTSX. He stood up on his hind legs and tipped over backwards... dead. Put the bullet where it belongs.

But I do want a light weight 7 SAUM for mountain hiking. I vote 7 SAUM.

Last edited:
I agree with Bang4theBuck... 22" barrel length will not allow the 284 stretch out to its potential.
With that barrel length the 7mm-08 will almost equal the 284 in a short barrel.
7mm-08 will also work better in the short action which will would limit the 284's loading capacity as well.
Of course... I'm assuming your short action is of a standard .308 bolt face so it would be the best fit.

I have a 22" 9 twist .284 barrel blank and I'm planning a short action build since I have a short action stock in the safe, but struggling with choosing a caliber. I think I've narrowed it to 7Saum, 284 Winchester, and 7SST. This will primarily be a Texas/Mexico whitetail gun, with shots under 300-400 yards, and occasional steel out to 1000. With the 9 twist my bullet selection will likely be the 162 ELDX/M, 168 ABLR, 168 Berger VLDH, or the 143 Hammer Hunters, depending on what I can find in stock. Been kicking this idea around for months and can't seem to narrow my focus on it.

Other calibers I have are 300RUM, 270WSM, 30-06, 308, 6.5PRC, 6.5CM, and 243, so I don't need a new gun, just wanting a change of pace.
Your stock has what footprint for which action or actions? Do you have the action or are you needing to pick up an action? What cartridge I would choose certainly would depend on these items as much as the barrel blank. Everyone has an opinion and of course so do I. With your choice of three cartridges that you would likely go with, .284 Winchester would be my choice.