Caliber for medium range Elk

The 7mm-08 could do the job out to around 500, assuming bullets I prefer and thinking 3000-6000' elevation. The 7 Rem Mag under the same conditions could do it out to 700-800 yards. If 600 yards is the target for you, the 7 SAUM would seem to be just right, in my book.

I use 7mm cartridges in my example, as I am fond of them. Similar cartridges in calibers you prefer would produce similar conclusions, I think.

OK, here is the scenario.....you are a medium range 0-600 yd elk hunter. You are looking for a rifle with moderate(light as possible without a brake) recoil, under 10lbs with scope and on a model 70 action.....

the real question is what caliber? 284 Win, 280 AI, 30-06(AI or regular).....or jump to the magnum bolt face and 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Wthby, etc..

thoughts?

Merry Christmas!
If you don't reload I would stay with the 30 caliburs ammo that u can buy off the shelf for elk. 7mm great gun also.
With that being the main thing u mention was recoil. If your are truly recoil sensitive I'd stick with the 06 or 270 for under 600 yard shots. Just get a good bullet. I own like many people a plethora of firearms. Custom and factory. I have a factory 06 that's 40 years old that shoots as good as any out to 500 yards. Doesn't kick and has killed more game than u can imagine. Elk and mule deer. It's the main thing I hunt with 90 % of the time. gun is beat up has paint all over it but the inside of the gun is clean
Cheers. Don't over think it. Find a gun you are comfortable to shoot, know your hold overs and for god sake verify it instead of getting it off the computer and expecting the impact to be right where the computer app says it will be. This will also verify the gun will hold a pattern at those ranges. Bright, new and shinny is not always what will kill the animal. happy Xmas.

OK, here is the scenario.....you are a medium range 0-600 yd elk hunter. You are looking for a rifle with moderate(light as possible without a brake) recoil, under 10lbs with scope and on a model 70 action.....

the real question is what caliber? 284 Win, 280 AI, 30-06(AI or regular).....or jump to the magnum bolt face and 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Wthby, etc..

thoughts?

Merry Christmas!
Either 6.5x284 or 6.5 PRC - either one of those with either the 147gr ELDm or the 140gr + berger is perfect. The new 144gr hybrid looks amazing!

Any of the ones mentioned will get the job done with a good bullet and proper placement. Put a good kickeez pad on it and practice practice practice! I am not a fan of breaks on hunting rifles but can live with a good magnaport. If choosing from all mentioned then a 280ai or good old 30/06. Don't over think it. Just find the gun that feels right and fits your budget.

E24318A9-4256-48D5-8121-43E5A63C5E6F.jpg
I can say in are hunting group the 7mm is the gun of choice we have 5 hunters in are hunting group and over the years of hunting that caliber has taken somewhere between 35 to 40 elk and the bullet of choice is 2 guns shoot 160 partition and 3 shoot 154 interbonds and none of the guns have muzzle breaks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.