Caliber combination for prairie dog hunting?

The 20 practical is my go to prairie dog gun. White oak armory makes an AR15 upper. It is great out to 200 yards.
I like the idea of the 20 practical. Easy to make brass from 223, but I worry it'd get confusing keeping track of what brass is which as I already have a 223. The main goal is to load for PD's on my Dillon and new caliber setups are expensive enough that it needs to be factored into the budget of a build. Not excluding it for a second option, so thank you for the advice.

I have never been prairie dog hunting, but am looking to start doing it in 2025. I have my first build almost done, which is an AR15 in 223 with a 1:8 twist 24" WOA varmint barrel. I am hoping to shoot the 53g V-max with this upper. Everything I read on the topic says to take several guns/calibers along. It would be convenient to have the other caliber(s) be AR compatible so I can just swap uppers. Realistically, how many guns do I need to take? I assume I want a gun for close range, medium range, and long range. Where does my 223 fall in line and what cartridges do you recommend for the other ranges? I plan to reload for this on a progressive. Am I missing anything else important?
Thank you in advance for the insight.
Ideal loads and cartridges may depend somewhat on where you hunt and typical wind conditions. I hunt primarily in WY and often deal with heavy winds. On my last two trips, we were very lucky and experienced the least windy conditions that I can remember. We were able to exploit some long-range shots as a result.

You really only need one rifle to have an enjoyable trip, but more is better.

I always bring at least three rifles and a .22 LR pistol (all suppressed), usually more:
  1. A/R .223 24in bull bbl 1:8 twist ~17lb (my primary rifle)
  2. .17 HMR Savage, bull bbl; (close range stuff)
  3. 6.5 CM custom (if I can see it in the scope, I have a chance of hitting it)
I often will also bring a second lighter AR or any other rifle I want to shoot. I have a new .22 CM, but it's not shooting acceptably yet. All have higher-end optics. I also make extensive use of a spotting scope and ballistic, range finding binos.

You might consider using some higher BC bullets in your AR, as wind is your biggest challenge at long range. I shoot either Hornady 73gr ELDMs or 77gr SMK/TMKs. You can load mag length ammo with both. I sometimes buy the 77gr .224 blems from Midway, which helps keep costs down. The higher BC is a big help at long range, in the wind. Last weekend, I was able to score multiple hits over 600yds and one over 700yds with my AR. Bring plenty of ammo. I may shoot over 500 rounds/day. Bring cleaning supplies, especially for the AR. The AR gets filthy shooting suppressed and needs 1-2 cleanings/shooting day.

1715981599881.png

Last edited:
We are going to SD to shoot next week. But won't be on the biggest town in that area. Talked to the outfitter today. Landowner poisoned it. Apparently they aren't considered builders by everyone.
Sorry your Prairie Dog shoot won't be as good as hoped RB. Most cattlemen/farmers want nothing to do with anything that eats their profit.

Last edited:
I'd like to stick to the AR platform for now. Nothing against bolt actions. Just want to be able to swap uppers for now.
I buy savage complete rifles for less than an upper costs. And every savage I've owned shot really well. I've seen a couple from before the accutrigger came out that didn't shoot great though.

I like the idea of the 20 practical. Easy to make brass from 223, but I worry it'd get confusing keeping track of what brass is which as I already have a 223. The main goal is to load for PD's on my Dillon and new caliber setups are expensive enough that it needs to be factored into the budget of a build. Not excluding it for a second option, so thank you for the advice.
Easy enough to keep ammo separate. I had, 2-.20 practicals. My method was simply to use a different bullet. All the ammo I load for and shoot through my .223's are HP's, so the only ammo I load is poly tipped variety, generally the v max.

Impossible to mix them up

Easy enough to keep ammo separate. I had, 2-.20 practicals. My method was simply to use a different bullet. All the ammo I load for and shoot through my .223's are HP's, so the only ammo I load is poly tipped variety, generally the v max.

Impossible to mix them up
I keep the rifle's bolt with the ammo together. Really like Dillon's border shift ammo bags.

Pups have been out for a couple weeks. Earlier this year than last. Buddy and I have been shooting with 17hmr. Plenty of 70-100 yard shots.

Attachments

• IMG_0836.jpeg
    IMG_0836.jpeg
    799 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0835.jpeg
    IMG_0835.jpeg
    828.1 KB · Views: 7