Caliber Choice? Piston System...

I think a buddy of mine has some H110 that I bet he is not using. I might bum some from him to see what happens.

Just a little FYI on H110. It works the best when you have the slightest bit of compression on it. Loose powder tends to give high ES and highly compressed raises pressure really quick.

Just an FYI since we are talking H110/W296 (same stuff!) - if you are using it in pistol cases you MUST use a magnum primer. Learned the hard way with a .357 Mag load. I had run out of magnum small pistol primers so I just used regular small pistol primers (CCI in this case) and the powder wouldn't ignite! Wasn't just a fluke either, tried twice more with the same results. (Yes, I had to tap the bullet out of the forcing cone since the primer power was enough to lodge it there.) Now, back to the .300 BLK thread...

<SNIPPED STUFF>I also have a bunch of Sierra 155 Palma HP bullets. Would the CFE BLK be ok for the larger bullets?
The CFE BLK was 'designed' to work for both supersonic AND subsonic .300 BLK loads, so I'm sure it would work on those 155gr bullets, if you can find some load data for them. I'd be curious to hear how fast they could be pushed. Probably not very fast, but for plinking and head shots on hogs, they'd be fine.

Frog, I had some guys report the 308 bullet shot great at 50yds, but group size opened up quickly. I assume it's because there was not enough bite in the lands so the bullet lost stability, then kind of knuckle balled at longer range.
That is interesting to me that accuracy was good out to a certain point (50yds) and then fell apart beyond that. I would have thought the .308" bullets would have just 'rattled' down that .311" bore and given shotgun patterns no matter the distance. I guess you just never know until you give it a try! Thanks for sharing the results.

Wow...looks like the 7.62x39 might hold on if this holds true!

I knew there was reason i wanted CFE BLK regardless it being a good match in the BlackOut for what I wanted the BlackOut to do.

I ran the numbers on the Hodgdon web site. Here you go!

Screenshot_2019-05-09-18-08-09.png

Their normally pretty conservative so getting that kind of velocity may be possible. I will also be running the .310 123gr VMax. I have 100 of them so I should be able to top the 300BO. No powder choice gets the BO over 2200fps.

The 7.62x39 has a bunch of wiggle room from 2200fps to 2500fps to find a good load out to my maximum criteria of 100yds on my digital NV.

Wow, that is a significant increase in velocity for a 125gr bullet in the 7.62X39mm vs. what the .300 BLK will SAFELY do. (People seem to want to hotrod everything, tested reloading data be damned.) They say the CFE BLK powder is also exceptionally clean burning AND fights copper build up. I might have to get me some.

I'm normally one of those guys, but with the pressure limits of the AR platform I've reeled that attitude in quite a bit. If this is accurate for velocity and accurate on paper what's not to like about it.

I am only talking about a rifle that the main use will be 100yds on the long end! Anything below MOA at 100 will just be gravy. I have shot one of the 7.62x39 at 200yds with a 4X fixed scope. It shot just over MOA at 200...plenty good enough for deer or hogs at that range.

I'm excited to test some loads to see what happens!

I'm normally one of those guys, but with the pressure limits of the AR platform I've reeled that attitude in quite a bit. If this is accurate for velocity and accurate on paper what's not to like about it.<SNIPPED STUFF>
You are a wise man CaptnC! Accurate is so much more important than 'fast'. It is the bullet placement that's going to make the real difference...not another 75fps. I think for hog hunting at 100 yards or less - especially at night - an accurate AR shooting a good bullet through a suppressor is just about perfect. If a head shot can be finagled, all the better.

Getting to MOA at 200yds with a 7.62X39mm is impressive, especially with a 4x scope. Nice shooting!

The school district I work for closed because of heavy rains in the Houston area.

If I can find a range open I going today to run some numbers. One range is very limited, the other I have access out to 600yds, but they are part of the flood control of Houston.

Got to make some phone calls!

Tried to do some shooting myself this morning. Wasn't going to sit in my truck for 2hrs waiting for the public range to open... If I only would have had my small game license I could have went across the road and said I was squirrel hunting.

Lol...I normally get up at 3:45am to go to work. I was nearly there when I got the call we were closed.

I just finished loading the few empty 7.62x39 cases I have and loaded the empty 300BO cases I had. Both ranges are still not open here too...called one before I realized what time it is.

I'd really like to go to the big range. I have a bunch of rifles that need to be zero'd. All 3 of my Grendel's have new side charge uppers, just did uppers and scope swaps on the 7.62x39, scope swap on the BlackOut. New barrel and scope on 6.5x284...everything has at least 50 rounds loaded for each rifle!

I need a couple days at the range!

Lol...I normally get up at 3:45am to go to work. I was nearly there when I got the call we were closed.

I just finished loading the few empty 7.62x39 cases I have and loaded the empty 300BO cases I had. Both ranges are still not open here too...called one before I realized what time it is.

I'd really like to go to the big range. I have a bunch of rifles that need to be zero'd. All 3 of my Grendel's have new side charge uppers, just did uppers and scope swaps on the 7.62x39, scope swap on the BlackOut. New barrel and scope on 6.5x284...everything has at least 50 rounds loaded for each rifle!

I need a couple days at the range!
4am for me. Had to drop the boy off at school, which is a few miles from the public range. Just wanted to test function of some plinking loads in my 45, and 300blk. Also need to do load work up for a new rifle, zero the 300blk, load work up with a 5.56... I need some acreage!

I only had 5 empty cases...so here is a three shot average. 7.62x39
20190510_115355.jpg

Group is a little over MOA but the target is not real detailed. I was shooting at 6 o'clock on the target. POI is a high from the extra velocity. But still on line.
20190510_120404.jpg

Bottom three holes are the CFE-BLK 29.5gr 123gr VMAX

Top three walking it in...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.