"Upgrade" to piston?

dust

I currently own a M1Sales 5.45 upper, only 3 rounds through it, with about 5K rounds of ammo, mostly 7n6 and Hornady. All of that is 1000 miles away. All I have here now is a stripped lower.

I have a line on a Huldra Arms Piston upper. Melonite barrel and piston, so cleaning would be simpler. Based off of Adams Arms piston. For $400 used it's a good price with mag and some ammo. Ammo will still be the cheapest of most CF rounds, and Hornady V-max is said to be about 2 MOA for "premium". I don't currently have a use for it, but since it seems on paper to be better than my M1S upper, I am considering buying. After I know it works, sell the M1S upper. Does anyone have comments on the "upgrade"? I just can't get myself to buy a 5.56, or even a 6.5Grendel. The 6.5G would be nice, but with only a 125 yard range I don't think it would be doing much good.

I currently own a M1Sales 5.45 upper, only 3 rounds through it, with about 5K rounds of ammo, mostly 7n6 and Hornady. All of that is 1000 miles away. All I have here now is a stripped lower.

I have a line on a Huldra Arms Piston upper. Melonite barrel and piston, so cleaning would be simpler. Based off of Adams Arms piston. For $400 used it's a good price with mag and some ammo. Ammo will still be the cheapest of most CF rounds, and Hornady V-max is said to be about 2 MOA for "premium". I don't currently have a use for it, but since it seems on paper to be better than my M1S upper, I am considering buying. After I know it works, sell the M1S upper. Does anyone have comments on the "upgrade"? I just can't get myself to buy a 5.56, or even a 6.5Grendel. The 6.5G would be nice, but with only a 125 yard range I don't think it would be doing much good.

I've built my own. You would have to price out all the little parts to see if it was a deal. Buying a complete upper is much better than buy a barrel, gas block............................................................ Then you have to have the ar-15 vice plastic block holders............ Not for a novice to take on.

Your stripped lower needs a parts kit. I use 2 pound trigger pulls

Melonite is a chemical change to the metal surface. Making it extremely hard and ware resistant. It has nothing to do with cleaning. barrels come in 4 main types the lowest being standard/chromemoly, Then chome lined barrels, then Melonite, then the top is your grades of stainless steel

Bud, I understand what it is. What I meant by cleaning is that the melonite will be "better" than parkerizing, so cleaning won't have to be as quick. Just wondering if a piston upper will be better enough to be worth buying one and selling the other.

Huldra » Rifles » Huldra Mark IV 5.45x39 Carbine

Just the upper with one mag full and magpul handguard. Free float will be difficult with the piston assembly.

Nice......... free floating is over rated in heavy barreled 15's Because anything semi auto does not have the true bolt face ,,,,, like a target bolt gun. 223 being a light pill does not incur barrel whip like a 300 magnum. accuracy is more of a matter of bullet weight/twist/powder and velocity

I am very pro at least 20 inch 223. My chrono testing has show @ 200 fps compared to 16 inch. You can download a 20 inch for better grouping. I have a 1:7 and a 1:9 20 inch 223. 55 grains are cheaper to shoot. I would work towards the best results with them. My 1:7 only likes 75 grain match bullets and would probably like even more grain pills

My 1:7 actually key holes 55gr pills through paper at 100 meters. at 3300 chrono. down loaded to sub 3100 the pill makes a hole. I have to get down to 3000 to actually group. where the 1:9 groups with 3100

I went with a gas piston for my 6mm AR build. Cool and clean.

I will never own a direct impingement system. Hot and dirty.

Sounds like a good deal.

Sorry I wasn't thinking about the piston rod and guard interference!
Oh yeah. It took a lot of looking and work to get a FF tube that I wanted and that I could make work.

That build was long and satisfying. Now to work up copper loads for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.