Ar15 build - hog rifle caliber choice

I have an AR10 in both 308 and 6.5CM and either is great for hogs. If you need a fast followup shot, the 6.5 in a gas gun isn't much worse than 5.56... If you have to have an AR15 platform, the .300BO with 120gr Barnes TTSX is like a bolt of lightning with good placement...

Hey RangerWade,
I'm a big fan of the .338 Fed, too. But as you pointed out, that'll require an AR-10/SR-25 sized gun. Awesome deer/hog round though!

Still thinking if the OP wants hog power in an AR-15 sized gun, best options are .300 Ham'R, 6.8 SPC, or 6.5 Grendel.
Hey RangerWade,
I'm a big fan of the .338 Fed, too. But as you pointed out, that'll require an AR-10/SR-25 sized gun. Awesome deer/hog round though!

Still thinking if the OP wants hog power in an AR-15 sized gun, best options are .300 Ham'R, 6.8 SPC, or 6.5 Grendel.
338 in a Armalite platform with 20" tube and clip on IR in front of 1-8 scope. 185GMX is my go to boolit. Want a thermal clip on for Xmas......

If you're a reloader you shouldn't over look the 300 Ham'r. It was specifically designed for hog hunting. It's basically a 30-30 that sub MOA. Quick, light, and accurate!!

Sort of forgot about this thread. 2.3 connected with her first hog a few weeks ago. 556 got it done despite the folks who said it can't be done.

We don't get them much bigger around here, took two ratchet straps for me to get him on the tailgate:eek:
53133ACA-2400-43DF-9AD4-AF61DDE4E25B.jpeg

DC1CFC8E-ACF1-4255-9623-C3D622A6F515.jpeg

^ that is one nasty hog!! I would have put 5-6 rounds in him just for good measure!! Dang man. What did you do with him?

I just saw this thread. Last year I built a 300 Ham'r. It was developed by Wilson Combat specifically for hog hunting. For all intense and purpose it's a better 30-30. It's a 200 yard plus gun and if you're within its range it maybe the best choice for hogs. It's just a barrel and mag change and you're on your way!

Sort of forgot about this thread. 2.3 connected with her first hog a few weeks ago. 556 got it done despite the folks who said it can't be done.

We don't get them much bigger around here, took two ratchet straps for me to get him on the tailgate:eek:
View attachment 163061
View attachment 163060

Yep, I killed three last year with a 223 all shot in the neck behind the ear, drops them in there tracks DRT. Some would have you believe you need a 338 Laupua to kill them. Nice hog, hope it doesn't taste bad for you. I butchered one boar that was very young, about 100-125lbs, he had a slight Wang taste on the pork chops, the sausage was pretty good, but every now and then you would get a little wangy taste. From now on, Gilts and Sows will go in the freezer.

I have a 260 rem ar 10 it's aweome .Its super accurate and powerful .I use 155 grain lapula mega tip bullets to 350 yards and 156 bed here for longer range .

Headed to Evolved Ballistics in Hondo Monday to pick up my 6th Proof barrel. This one is 6.8 to help with our pig infestation in Texas. Goes with my 6.5 Grendel, one for ea hand. Had to go back to original posting to remember what this was about. Hands down my most effective hog killer is 6.8.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.