Ar15 caliber that uses large rifle primers

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all I have a colt hbar match rifle that I would like to build or purchase a upper for that I can use for close range deer hunting and that also uses large rifle primers due to that's all I have on had besides large rifle magnum primers.ive looked at the 6.8sps mostly due to I am familiar with the .277 caliber.but what other calibers use large rifle primers that are suitable for deer size game.thanks

I should mention that when I did this, I used some once-fired 7.62 brass, and for some unexplained reason, half of them had case heads slightly too big for my Grendel bolt. I sorted the brass for this, but some were still snug and made for some feed issues. I was glad to abandon the project when I found small primers.

Another vote for 6.8spc -- I have 3 and love them all-- a short pistol, a 16" lightweight, and a 20" bull

Those 90gr gold dots are great for hunting, 95gr ttsx work well, as do 110 nab bullets--and with a modified magazine to load long and lvr powder I can get 2570fps in my 16" and 2760 fps in the 20" with the 130gr Fusion or 130gr vld's bullets in s&b sp brass (these loads were pressure trace tested to be safe in my gun)

Last edited: